Complete France Forum

BBC 2 lost - How do I do a factory re-set of my Sky digibox?

I'm hoping that the wonderfully helpful Martin Watkins might answer this, since I have followed his advice on many an occasion!

We have recently lost BBC 2 and Channels 4 and 5.  However, with this forum advice I have gone to Lyngsat and found Channel 4 and 5, but cannot find BBC 2 there for Sky.  We have a freeview card and I'm not much of a techie, so can someone please tell me how I can find BBC 2 again?

I'm satisfied that the dish is fine and all working OK .... why on earth we lost BBC 2 is beyond me.  Just one day it came up with "no satellite signal being received" and from then on in I can't find it.  Sonmewhere I read that a factory re-set is the way to restore lost channels but I don't know how to do this.

Many thanks everyone ...

Either switch off at the Table d'electricite and count to twenty then switch back on. Or unplug the box count and restart. Simply switching the box off is not the same think it is like rebooting a computer.

There is another process called 'Forced Download' but I would only ever do this with a good signal being received.

How odd!   Anton has pointed you in the right direction.   (by which I mean the symptom is odd,  not odd that Anton has pointed you in the right direction - I've just re-read it and it was open to serious mis-interpretation!!)

It can't be a polarisation problem because if you've got C4 back (which is H) then BBC 2 should be OK from that point of view.

If Anton's reset hasn't worked (which it probably has) have you got any of the BBC 2 regions? (which are on 990/991/992)

I'm sure yuo've checked the signal quality (as opposed to strength) in SERVICES -> SYSTEM SET UP -> SIGNAL TEST.

Remarks too kind -  really - and should be applied to the whole team on this sub-group - Anton,  Tim,  and a few others.

Incidentally,  I'm right behind Anton on the "forced download" - they are pretty much the last shot in the arsenal.   However,  if you do need to do one,  hook the box up to a TV with a SCART cable (this is important,  you can't see what's happening with the aerial fly lead method),  unplug the box,  wait the 20 secs for things to discharge,  then whilst holding in the power button ON THE BOX  (not the remote) plug the box back in.   Do not release the button until you get a full house of lights on the box,  and until a message appears on the screen announcing that a downlad has started.   Go and do something else for 10 minutes and don't unplug or fiddle until it's completely bust or has come back to life.

And it is possible to bust them for good this way too,  particularly if they're already on the way to the next world anyway.

Ifit were me I would take a box to a friend's, or failing that an enermy's house who have a good signal before trying a forced down load on for a box which said it was not receiving a signal.

If it is still giving probelms I would try the box on another dish and another box on my dish before doing anything else.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Ifit were me I would take a box to a friend's, or failing that an enermy's house who have a good signal before trying a forced down load on for a box which said it was not receiving a signal.

If it is still giving probelms I would try the box on another dish and another box on my dish before doing anything else.

[/quote]

Anton! I hope your not recommending swopping yours for theirs whilst they are not looking![6]

• 2 months later...

We had a short power cut yesterday.  When it came back on I put the TV and SKY box back on and had the normal scottish set up and  channels I have had on the sky box since buying it from Scotland.  101 is BBC 1 Scotland;102 is BBC 2 Scotland;103 STV etc.  Turned off the TV and Sky box to standby last evening.  Today put on the TV and 993 London ITV has dissapeared as has 104 and 105, (channels 4 and 5) Channel 101 is now BBC 1 London 102 BBC 2 England and 103 is ITV central.  I can still get More 4,  E4 and Fiver etc.  Any ideas as to why this might have happened?  I have done the usual and unplugged it, but will it revert to the Scottish set up and restore channels 4 & 5?  I like the Scottish set up because you can see the regional variations easily and Scottish TV has a number of programmes on different nights and times to the London channels so its often easy to avoid clashes with the few decent programmes still on UK TV which always seem to be on at the same time.  Any advice as always much appreciated

Somewhere up in the high 990's Ron you should find Scottish BBC1,   as a temporary fix.   If London has gone to 101 then BBC1 Scot should be up with the other regionals.   Generally whatever occupies the 101 position gives up its place amongst the other regional alternatives.

As a first step I'd try taking the card out and putting it back in again - either the box has stopped noticing it or the power cut has caused the symbiotic relationship between card and box to break down,  hopefully temporarily.

AS a further stop gap you can add STV as one of your "Other channels" via "add channels" but suggest you see if the card comes back to life first.

Archived