Complete France Forum

Compatability of UK phones on the French system

I am sure this question would have been asked before, but can you use UK phones on the French system. I have an adapter [ I think it is for internet use] which allows for a UK plug to be used on a French jack point, but if I bring a phone from the UK, will it still work?

Some will work fine, other will work, but won't ring.

We managed with english (no ringing) phones and a cheap french one (that did ring) for two years before the dreaded lightening took the lot out...[:D]

There is, on here somewhere, a diagram that shows how to change the wires to get the ring working.

In France simple POTS two wire system, whether ordinary France Telecom line or by connection to Modem-Router Box. Connection cable with male RJ 11 and male french T connector cost a couple of euros in local supermarket, just plug RJ 11 end into UK phone.

Dont worry about capacitors and ring tone function theory, all antiquated stuff but frequently trotted out by expatriates with sentimental memories of their City&Guilds Telephony course.

[quote user="Bugbear"]Some will work fine, other will work, but won't ring.

[/quote]

... and some just won't work at all! I had a nice compact Sony phone in my office in UK which I brought with us and I've tried all manner of adapters and leads and there is absolutely nothing when you pick up the receiver! I gave up but couldn't bring myself to throw it away and it's in the loft now. This, by the way, is how I accumulate all my rubbish! [:D]

Sid

I'm no tecchie, but when I arrived, I disconnected the French phone (only a couple of years old but was not able to phone the UK and do the "press no 1" etc routine), by taking out the lead from the body of the French phone, likewise with the UK phone, and it works fine (and is able to "press no 1 etc!).  This is only of any use if you have the newer type of phone with the lead which you can disconnect from the phone.  I did not bother to bring any phones which could not do that (and since they were over 20 years old, they probably would not have worked anyhow!).  If it gets more complicated than that - I can't help, sorry.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I see you are also in Deux-Sèvres. I could possibly collect your beautiful Sony unit.[:)]

[/quote]

I am, but you can't! [;-)] Sorry! It has to stay in the loft until we move, whereupon I'll decide to keep it another 10 years! [blink]

Sid

Archived