Complete France Forum

Channel 4 FTA (again)

Some time ago, Martin posted this useful information regarding Channel 4 on FTA.

"If anyone's at a loose end and only has an FTA sat receiver (as opposed to a Sky box) they can watch what appears to be a test of channel 4 TV free to air on

10729 MHz,  Vertical,  22000 kbps,  FEC 5/6   Astra 2D

Quite a joy finally to see ch 4 without Sky's encryption fetters round it,   it may be a one off though.

Incidentally,  it's labelled as 8350,   presumably to throw people off the scent.

No guarantees that it'll last long,   but it's a VERY good omen for ch' 4's early inclusion on Freesat."

Last summer I tried it out successfully but by November it had changed. I would like to find it again at Easter. I would be grateful if someone would give me the new data (if it is available).

Thanks, Alistair

We have had Channel 4 and Film 4 for a couple of years FTA , Both on 10714mhz  22000 H, Astra 2a.

A tip for searching out channels is to select 'search network' for example at Astra 2, it will find all channels on Astra 2a - d transponders and Eurobird aswell.

Yes,  there was a lot of shuffling round although I think things are now stable.   Although surely it was only in the last year that C4 went FTA....?

Do a rescan on 10714 MHz and 10729 MHz.   H  and V respectively,  symbol rate 22000 kbps,  FEC 5/6.

Channel 5 can be had as well on 10773 MHz,  H,  same SR & FEC.  Carriage courtesy of the BBC!!

Unless you get a freesat or Sky box unfortunately rescans are required once in a while.

We're all waiting for the next upheaval,  there's a queue of stuff wanting to get onto freesat,  a change which often entails shifting to Astra 2D for copyright reasons.   Unfotunately there isn't room at the moment,   but if room is found (perhaps by moving the 2D Sky stuff onto 2C) then there will be more fun and games.   Although Sky are chortling away to themselves for holding these developments up for as long as possible (which suits them very well).

Horse's mouth here

http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html

Yes, Channel 4 and all it's variants have been free to air for several months now.

freeat launched in May 2008 and Channel 4 itself changed to fta then, since then the Channel 4 variants - More 4 and E 4 and their plus 1s have also gone fta. Film 4 and +1 has, of course, been fta for some time now.

We are now just waiting for Channel 4 HD to join the BBC and go free to air.

Regards - Tim

N.B. We crossed in posts there Martin. Interestingly, I've just got back in from helping my father in law set up a system with an old Sky box for their bedroom. Since getting the Humax PVR I haven't switched on any of my Sky boxes so I was interested to see that 5 on the Sky box still needs a card. You can, of course, tune the fta version (courtesy of the Beeb) via the 'add channels'.

Like you Tim my two Sky boxes are currently unused,   sitting in a corner of the dining room waiting for the next passage to France (that is if we can ever afford to go again!!).   freesat rules OK!  I had gathered that the Sky boxes still use the "Sky" version of Five.

But as you indirectly imply,  a Sky FTV Solus card is now pretty pointless unless you're heavily into Sky Three  (??!!)

Thanks for the many replies. I will use the information when we finally get back to France at Easter. My wife will be impressed (once more) when I demonstrate how clever I am - with your help. My satellite set up is a cheap one from Brico but it works really well. I am glad we bought it before stirling became so unpopular.

Thanks, Alistair

Hi,

I think the Sky viewing card is still needed for three channels : Sky 3; Five Life (soon to be Fiver?) and Five US. I think the latter two will be some time before they go FTA.

Incidentally Martin, (if I can go slightly off topic) I now am the proud owner of a fully motorised sat system complete with 90cm dish!!

Pete

Yes,  I'd forgotten the Five spin-offs.  I suppose because the few times I've gone past them I've hadno idea what they're for!!

Motorised eh!!   Have fun with it,  you're one up on me.    I've toyed with the idea for ten years,  but it's now on the backburner partly thanks to the incompetent economic leadership of our country,   and also because TBH the more "exotic" routes into many channels seem now to be largely closed off for the foreseeable future.   Sadly.

Archived