Complete France Forum

modem is making a funny noise.

Hi,

My moden has officially been getting on my tits recently. The phone and internet went out last weekend due to the storms, and since then, the broadband kept cutting out every ten minutes or so. It was strange - the modem lights all stayed correctly lit, but the computer lost the wifi signal, or if I was using the ethernet cable, it would say "limited connectivity". Re-starting the modem was the only solution each time.

Unusually for me, I got annoyed with it and gave the box a few slaps as it cut out as I did something vital. [6]

Ever since, it now makes a high pitched squaling noise at the limit of hearing. I already have tinnitus so this annoys me further.

I have since figured that the cutting out also coincided with new guests in the gite - I wondered if they have something electrical that interferes...they have wee babies, so maybe baby monitors? Anyway, I changed the channel the modem uses and it is a lot better - cuts out maybe once a day, but thats acceptable-ish I suppose.

The squeeling is still there - and no, a few more slaps havent stopped it.[Www] Is it dead\dying? its a Bewan 700G, if thats any help.

[quote user="dave21478"]

My moden has officially been getting on my tits recently.

[/quote]

Apparently the Bewan is a nifty bit of kit - I had never heard of it which is why I did a google search - but the smaller ones, including yours, are a tad prone to lack of synchronicity (echoes of The Police); interesting discussion + results here:

http://www.dslvalley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39155

Sue

Archived