Complete France Forum

TV Digital Switch-Over (analogue switch-off)

It's by no means imminent in France,  but TV "digital switch over" (DSO) is happening sooner or later both in France and Britain,  and there is currently a lot of confusion in the mind of the public which can lead to unscrupulous operators ripping-off vulnerable folk.   For example by insisting that they need an expensive digital aerial (there is no such thing as a digital aerial,  although there are many that could be classed as "expensive"!)

To this end a no-nonsense website has been created to give advice in relatively simple terms.   Almost all the information is relevant to France and whether you're someone technical or a concerned "Luddite" it makes for a clear read as to what is required.

I commend it to the Forum

http://www.paras.org.uk/index.shtml

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]It's by no means imminent in France,  but TV "digital switch over" (DSO) is happening sooner or later both in France and Britain, [/quote]

The switch-off of analog transmitters has actually started  in France, with the first town to go totally digital having lots of news coverage about a week or so ago.  Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the town, but I thought you might be interested to know this nevertheless.

Edit: found a link

It surprised me how soon much of France will be switching over, a lot will have converted within the next 18 months. 

There has been far more publicity about it in the UK though it looks like we will switch in France earlier than in the UK.

One recent table shows

Zone Arrêt de la diffusion, analogique   Réémetteurs à partir des sites régionaux de

Besançon, Gex, Privas, Limoges,

Chambéry                                                4e trimestre 2009

Alsace                                                       1er trimestre 2010

Basse-Normandie                                     1er trimestre 2010

Lorraine                                                    1er trimestre 2010

Pays-de-Loire                                           2e trimestre 2010

Champagne-Ardenne                                 2e trimestre 2010

Franche-Comté                                         2e trimestre 2010

Bretagne                                                    2e trimestre 2010

Poitou-Charentes                                       3e trimestre 2010

Bourgogne                                                4e trimestre 2010

Centre                                                        4e trimestre 2010

Picardie                                                     4e trimestre 2010

Nord                                                          4e trimestre 2010

The frontal areas come later as they have to fit in with switch overs in Italy, Switzerland. Germany etc.

There is still little or no information about  when  the many relays will be converted.

Sorry,  I was trying not to put the wind up too many people by stressing that switch over in France is "not imminent".   By which I meant "next week" (which is what I thought was roughly the sense of imminent!)

Yes an experimental switch over has been performed in Coulommiers.   But the next region is not "tomorrow".

I'm sorry if I caused confusion to some of you.

AFAIK Anton the analogue AB3's are on until the very last day.   I am assured by people in the know that this is the main sustaining feed for the analgoue UHF network,  although of course there is an RBS network as a fall back,  but if it's similar to the BBC's it won't be of entirely reliable broadcast quality standards.   The old microwave distribution for analogue was discarded about three years ago (when AB3 was the RBS) and the sat feed took its place.    So AB3 analogue has to stay on until the last analogue tx site (apart from Tour Eiffel and its dependants) is extinguished.

And for F5 and M6 and C+ the sat feed has always been the main feed at a lot of ts sites.

As to AB3 digital FTA,  the immediate threat to that was lifted in October.

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Sorry,  I was trying not to put the wind up too many people by stressing that switch over in France is "not imminent".   [/quote]

No wind up Martinwatkins, just thought you might not been aware of what is happening here, and interested in the fact the program is faster here than the UK (in my perception).  I only watch French TV by TNT, so will be happy with the increased BW and power available when all analog is switched off.

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]AFAIK Anton the analogue AB3's are on until the very last day.   I am assured by people in the know that this is the main sustaining feed for the analgoue UHF network,  although of course there is an RBS network as a fall back,  but if it's similar to the BBC's it won't be of entirely reliable broadcast quality standards.   The old microwave distribution for analogue was discarded about three years ago (when AB3 was the RBS) and the sat feed took its place.    So AB3 analogue has to stay on until the last analogue tx site (apart from Tour Eiffel and its dependants) is extinguished.

And for F5 and M6 and C+ the sat feed has always been the main feed at a lot of ts sites.
[/quote]

I love it when you talk dirty!

I think that it seems faster in France because it's only fairly recently that a final decision has been taken there about *how* to do DSO in France,   whereas the exact timetable and frequency shifts have been detailed for the last two years in Britain,   and part of the Border region has already gone over.

There's certainly more awareness in Britain than in France about the switch,  but I'm sure the French will catch up once the information campaign gets going properly.

Our main local (Limoges Les Cars) is still waiting frequency clearance for any TNT service at all,  and it seems likely that -  apart from R1 - there really will be pretty much an overnight switch to digital from this important site,   which is much more difficult to pull off with the public than side-by-side running over a long period as in most other areas of France (at least from the main tx sites).

Archived