Complete France Forum

Deleting all data from PC

oh my apologies lol, no problem, most of the terminology i just described i have only learnt recently,but to put it in more plain terms think of the pc cpu (central processing unit)  like a cars engine,so lets say this "cars" engine is 2.7 litre petrol ,but when i check to see  that it is a 2.7 litre (using cpu-z  or everest ) i only see that it is a 2.3 litre,and this is where it gets complicated as it might be a 2.7 litre but what programs i am using to see what litre it is might not be showing me the correct reading,so thats what i was asking in the last post,do these programs show your car (the same make as mine) as a 2.7 litre, or a 2.3 litre.If you can get someone to have a look at my previous post who is experienced at pc's they will be able to see using the relevant programs what speed your pc runs at,it is supposed to be 2.7 ghz (2700mhz) but i think it will show as 2.3ghz (2300mhz) the same as mine which is strange  as there should be no reason for this with a new pc ,if its 2.7 it should show as 2.7 using a cpu monitoring program  like cpu-z or everest or similar program.Thanks for your time in discussing this with me.

[quote user="fireinureeyes"]oh my apologies lol, no problem, most of the terminology i just described i have only learnt recently,but to put it in more plain terms think of the pc cpu (central processing unit)  like a cars engine,so lets say this "cars" engine is 2.7 litre petrol ,but when i check to see  that it is a 2.7 litre (using cpu-z  or everest ) i only see that it is a 2.3 litre,and this is where it gets complicated as it might be a 2.7 litre but what programs i am using to see what litre it is might not be showing me the correct reading,so thats what i was asking in the last post,do these programs show your car (the same make as mine) as a 2.7 litre, or a 2.3 litre.If you can get someone to have a look at my previous post who is experienced at pc's they will be able to see using the relevant programs what speed your pc runs at,it is supposed to be 2.7 ghz (2700mhz) but i think it will show as 2.3ghz (2300mhz) the same as mine which is strange  as there should be no reason for this with a new pc ,if its 2.7 it should show as 2.7 using a cpu monitoring program  like cpu-z or everest or similar program.Thanks for your time in discussing this with me.[/quote]

I gave up trying to read this about half way through the second line. Where do people get taught to write like that [8-)]

I will ask my daughter to run the check when next over.

You (fireinyureeyes) will have no doubt noted in the blurb that came with the Medion the warnings that it might not reach maximum speed due to the high memory usage of programs (or something to that effect - I am using another PC away from home at present so don't have access to the leaflet ). This is I think partly why my daughter immediately deleted quite a lot of the preloaded stuff for me. 

But whether that has anything to do with answering your particular question, I will leave until more knowledgeable help is at hand.

I think the answer to the speed question may be quite simple.

In your machine there will be a standard 900Mhz chip (AMD or Intel it doesn't matter) which will have the option to Overclock.  So this chip overclocked *3 gives you the 2.7Ghz which is within the manufacturers specs.

BUT

This will make it run hot, very.  So, to reduce possible failures, a lot of PC makers will set the overclock to say *2.5 which gives the 2.3Ghz speed, is a bit more stable and doesn't get so hot.  To complicate matters more, the overclocking these days is very clever and will vary the speed depending on temp and loading so that may be one reason that you get differing info from speed test software.

You can change the overclock speed but unless you are very familiar with what you're doing I'd leave it well alone.  I doubt if you'd ever notice the difference anyway

Because so many people are easily blinded by simple numbers for a long time AMD have rated their processors with an effective speed related to the oppositions clock frequency system. For instance, my laptop has an AMD 2500+ processor which in fact runs at 1866mhz (133mhz x 14) but is supposedly equal in performance to an Intel 2500 (supposedly because without side by side direct comparison which is impossible there no real way of proving it) but I'll leave you to work out why the only utility which gives you 2.7ghz for an AMD processor is AMD's own [;-)]

Pierre; sorry mate but I think you're talking out of your hat [:D]

A 900mhz CPU overclocked x3, impossible. The speed of the processor is determined by the FSB (Front Side Bus) times a certain selectable multiplier, so a 2.0ghz processor might be running on an FSB of 166mhz x 12 = 1.992ghz. In some instances you may be able to slightly tweak the FSB to gain a few mhz, a multiplier of 13 for instance would yield 2.158mhz, not even 5% so hardly a quantum leap and certainly not enough to risk killing the processor for.

When processors are manufactured they set out to make a batch of say 2.5ghz chips but after they are made they are tested to their maximun stable frequency then downgraded by one or two orders to ensure reliability so a 2.5ghz chip might leave the factory marked as only 2.0ghz which is why overclocking can sometimes work spectacularly well and sometimes not at all.

I have spoken to my son-in-law. He says the true speed is not of much relevance to my usage and he does not recommend downloading test programs from the internet that might - or might not - give a more reliable reading. So I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help after all. Sorry.

hi 
first of all ErnieY , if you only read one sentence how are you supposed to understand an article ,secondly , trying to explain bus speeds/clock speeds is difficult when the person has no clue as to what these terms mean, hence the reason i made those comparisons , anyway ,i explained it in standard terms earlier in this post ,and by the way, i was taught in a school like every other person :)

pierre, as ErnieY said "Sorry mate but i think you are talking out of your hat" , the topic went from a  lack of standard clock speed to overclocking which is not what i am trying to do, i overclocked the 7750 and i got about 3.2ghz (18.5 x 170 mhz), my problem is that without overclocking , just leaving the cpu on standard settings, its 2.3ghz not 2.7ghz,no cool n quiet,no programs running,my bus speed is 170 mhz when it should be 200mhz and i know of one other person with the same pc that has the same result,if alan had confirmed the same clock speed  with his it would have been two others,

Alan thanks for your help anyway, in relation to what you said   "will have no doubt noted in the blurb that came with the Medion the warnings that it might not reach maximum speed due to the high memory usage of programs " this is indeed true as to what medion said but they were talking about the memory of the pc and not the cpu, i also deleted most of the preinstalled programs they gave and installed the 64bit version of vista to utilize the 4gb of ram.

anyway thanks to everyone for their input on this topic
cheers , Fireinureeyes

Spoke to medion. One of the things they said is that apparently there's a special key combination to access the "missing" options in the BIOS, but they don't know it! It's only know at HQ in Germany and they won't tell!! Ha, ha, ridiculous! Anyway, there's a BIOS update on the medion.co.uk website.I Followed that and the FSB  is on 200MHz. .  so far the cpu has been running at it's factory specs of 2.7Ghz. Great success!

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Jane and Danny"]

PS QUillan,

how is your Orange satellite telly going? I am curious to know what you think after having it a few months.

Danny

[/quote]

Its OK, the decoder takes a bit of time to start each time compared to the Sky box but it works and I can get French TV which I couldn't before. With the cost of French  FTA sat box's dropping by quite a bit now I would probably go for a shop bought one next year. The biggest benifit is that I can rent films in English and I can also 'back them up' to my HDD recorder just in case I loose my internet connection then delete them afterwards [;-)] . OH and its got Hi Def built in but I don't have a Hi Def telly yet.
[/quote]

Got some Australian neighbours viewing french TV with the Samsung Orange SAT Decodeur. They are unable to enable teletext and subtitles on it though. Do you know if it is possible to get teletext withe Orange SAT?

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Jane and Danny"]

PS QUillan,

how is your Orange satellite telly going? I am curious to know what you think after having it a few months.

Danny

[/quote]

Its OK, the decoder takes a bit of time to start each time compared to the Sky box but it works and I can get French TV which I couldn't before. With the cost of French  FTA sat box's dropping by quite a bit now I would probably go for a shop bought one next year. The biggest benifit is that I can rent films in English and I can also 'back them up' to my HDD recorder just in case I loose my internet connection then delete them afterwards [;-)] . OH and its got Hi Def built in but I don't have a Hi Def telly yet.
[/quote]

Got some Australian neighbours viewing french TV with the Samsung Orange SAT Decodeur. They are unable to enable teletext and subtitles on it though. Do you know if it is possible to get teletext withe Orange SAT?

[/quote]

It should be possible. Make sure that the decoder is connected to the livebox, and leave it connected - it may be in need of a firmware update. There have been a few updates already. Just a suggestion. might be useful to reboot the livebox and the decoder too.

but it seems to beset with problems too

http://www.orange-tv.info/forum/nouvelle-mise-jour-shd85-t511.html

Danny

Thanks for link.

I have a Nokia decodeur and to get teletext subtitles I just press the Texte button on the decodeur remote control when the TV is already in Teletext Mode and immediately the text function appears.

No such luck with the Samsung Orange decoder.

By the way the local Amailloux TNT transmission gives much better picture quality than the Orange SAT decoder. The ARTE in HD is fantastic. So Orange may get their box back.[:)]

Archived