Complete France Forum

Firefox unwanted URL suggestions.

A number of unwanted and (in some cases) undesirable options appear in my navigation toolbar.   To explain,  when one starts to type in a URL Firefox offers a drop down list of suggestions (from previous sessions) to save time,  and amongst these are a number of options that I don't want.

I've tried clearing history,  cookies,  private data etc,   but whilst the options I do want and use are cleared there are a number that stubbornly remain.

Fine I thought,   saved my bookmarks,   used the "erase" option from Crap Cleaner to knock out the Mozilla Firefox folder in Windows Explorer (I know this isn't the way to do it but it is rather fun you'll admit)  deleted all the shortcuts,   and installed Firefox 2.   

Problem solved,   no unwanted suggestions,  until I did the on-line upgrade to Firefox 3,  and then all these undesirable URL's have magically re-appeared.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to kill them off once and for all?

You need to delete the undesirable addresses one by one when they appear in the drop down list.

To do this: opposite mouse click to select (but not open) the address in the drop down list.

Hit DEL

Hope this helps

for more info look up 'smart location bar' on the Mozilla site

Thanks Clair, but I don't think it's that either, I've got the search window on the same bar which has Google Yahoo Wikipedia but I've always refused the actual Google dedicated Toolbar as it seems of little use to me.

Guess I'll have to live with the odd spurious URL's,   thanks for trying anyway.

It's appreciated.

Martin, you can delete them. Perhaps I didn't explain it very well?

When the unwanted URL appears in the drop down list of suggestions, select it, using the 'opposite' mouse button. (if you use the 'usual/main' mouse button it will open the page)

Once selected, press the delete key.

The URL is removed.

Clair's tweak has killed them,  along with the ones I do use (but which I can just as easily bookmark).

Does seem daft that there appears (in my case at least) no way of deleting *just* the more annoying ones.

Thanks anyway,  is there anything you clever people *don't* know?

[quote user="Martinwatkins"]Well that's odd.    My left mouse button (as you say) selects and directs to the URL,  the right button does absolutely zilch!

I'm beginning to think I've got an odd version of Firefox!!

Will try Clair's latest now....

[/quote]

On trying this again... I realise that I don't need to press a mouse button at all: just hover over the unwanted address and it is highlighted in blue, then press delete key on keyboard.

NB I downloaded & installed a Mozilla update this morning, perhaps that makes a difference. 

Archived