Complete France Forum

Our machine [Vista] is doing very strange things. Typically it denies access to user accounts or won't connect up to the internet properly on some accounts but will on others, depending how it's feeling that day.  I 've done all the usual things - virus scan, Spybot, Registry Mechanic, dskchk, system file checker. Makes no difference. I'm getting so fed up I'm thinking of doing a re-install. Everything is backed up onto an external hard disk but even so, never having done this before, I'm rather nervous. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Patrick

1. Allow yourself plenty of time.

2. Make sure that you have all install CDs and other materials handy.

3. Remember to uninstall any junk programs that you don't want (preferably before connecting to the internet).

4. If you used a pre-installed antivirus and/or security package, remember to enable it before connecting to the internet.

5. Your first internet connection should be to go to the Microsoft website and install all the security updates and patches. 

6. If you don't use the pre-installed antivirus package, your second internet connection should be to download and install the antivirus program or security suite of your choice (and the 3rd would be for downloading and installing a firewall program if you don't want to use the Windows firewall).

Good Luck!

Archived