Complete France Forum

Google's dirty little tricks

I like Google as a search engine but I was outraged to discover that completly unbeknown to me and definitely without my permission they have installed on my machine something called 'Googleupdate.exe' and then set up a task to run it after 10 minutes idle time.

In my book this is a Trojan so how dare they [:@][:@][:@]

It was apparently installed on 19/4/2009 and I definitely did not knowingly install anything from Google on that day, nor any other for that matter.

THIS is what they have to say about it but I reiterate that I have NEVER knowingly or conciously installed Chrome, or Google Earth or any other Google programme so how did this get there ?

If you find it and don't want it HERE is a method of getting rid of it. Frankly I don't trust Google to uninstall it.

They used to have high ideals and ethics but not anymore it seems.

http://www.google.com/corporate/tenthings.html

Grrrrrrrrrrr [:@]

Sorry Ernie, just a suggestion; not everybody is aware of who publishes what.

As it is unlikely to cause damage, my concern would be how it managed to download and install itself without anti-virus software noticing.

If it's a genuine programme (which it is - desired or not) then there would be no reason for an AV to flag it although I believe some do. I do not run a 3rd party firewall as I seldom use this particular Netbook at home and operate it over a heavily secured corporate network here at work so should not be at too much risk but I do nevertheless still keep a close eye on the machine which is how I spotted this. This is certainly the first time for a long time that anything like this has occurred.

The reason it's taken 10 days is because I have a triple boot setup XP/Vista/Windows 7 and have been using the latter for about that length of time and only rebooted into XP this morning when I noticed it taking considerably longer than usual and the event viewer pointed to it as it had failed to do whatever it was trying to.

All in all a bit of a mystery [8-)]

It is a mystery! I run TrendMicro, which has an 'unauthorized change prevention' function, hence my comment.

[quote user="suein56"]Zonealarm certainly noticed on my machine.

Sue[/quote]

Were you downloading something Google Sue, or was it out of nowhere?

[quote user="Âme"]

Were you downloading something Google Sue, or was it out of nowhere?

[/quote]

I have a google toolbar on the machine in question; so that might be the answer to that question.

But the other machine only has Google as part of its Firefox display; so, no, I have not downloaded anything Google on the second machine.

Sue

Archived