Complete France Forum

DVD Player Schaub Lorenz

I would be very interested to know if anyone else has bought a Schaub Lorenz DVDP9-22613 DVD portable player ( available only in France and Spain) and has doubts about the audio. We bought ours at Le Clerc and it seems to work ok except that I think the sound output on both the speakers and the headphones is quite low even with the volume turned up to maximum. Not nearly as loud as the average small transistor radio. The level is ok if you were in a quiet room, just, but my feeling is it should be louder.

There are warning signs saying you should turn the volume down before plugging in the headphones to protect your ears but if this is how it is supposed to work the warning is quite unnecessary!  There is no sign of distortion on the audio and it sounds ok if plugged into the AV input on a TV but freestanding it seems very weak. Any comments? It would be useful to know of others experience before I take it back to the shop....................JR

I have something similar, not this exact branding but due to the general layout of the thing I suspect my one has the same insides as yours and many other brands, all produced in China and put into cases of varying prettyness.  The sound level (through the internal speakers) on mine is not high either but since the quality is so grim I only ever used headphones.  I imagine that the sound level is purposly low in order to maximise battery life.  I had this mad idea that I could use it to provide my own in-flight movies on Ryanair but not entirly successful as I would be lucky to get 90 minutes out of it on fully charged batteries (Lord of the Rings? forget it) and could only just be heard on headphones over the incessant noise that seems to be a signature of RA flights..  Now the batteries won't hold a charge at all so it's at the back of a cupboard somewhere

It's a fallacy that the audio level will make any measurable or meaningful difference to battery life. At full chat an audio player will only be pumping out a few 10's of mW which is nothing in terms of the overall device consumption which could be in the order of several watts.

What earphones are you using. Some are very inefficient and to get maximum volume you need to look for those which have the greatest sensitivity expressed in dB/mV.

Thanks for the info, so I guess this is how it is supposed to be. I will have a look to see if one can get better, i.e more sensitive cans, I wonder what impedance they are.

I guess the main current drain will be the motor and the back light for the LCD display. I have charged the battery and it only lasted a short time so guess for most of its life it will be with the mains unit plugged in! The sound quality on the speakers is very tinny but I guess the speakers must be so very small in such a thin unit.

I note that there appears to be a plastic film over the display screen and a little tab near the bottom right hand corner so I guess one pulls it off, sound familiar? Nothing on unpacking or setting up in the very sparse destruction manual ..........................JR

Most headphones are nominal 8 ohms impedance  and I've tried several with no real difference.  The volume from the internal speakers was, well, OK but not loud.  I suppose since its intended that you  have the thing on your lap that no great volume is needed.  Maybe the more expensive ones are better but for me, the €100  I paid was really wasted.

Archived