Complete France Forum

Livebox router or not?

Indeed there are some 17 million french internautes enjoying internet connection and most of them on a Sagem Router, predominantly the model 3302. They are surrounded by plastic in various shades,shapes and colours according to the preferences of the FAI/ISP marketing the product. It seems unfair to criticise Orange for a Router they do not manufacture.

I totally agree that Orange are a load of cobblers despite being the largest provider of internet services, a puzzling lack of perspicacity on the part of the french population but possibly explained as a hangover from the Minitel Rose.

The Sagem Modem is indeed sold as an outright purchase for € 1, it is as noted USB and only 1.1.

The dongles sold by FAI/ISPs are preconfigured and simple to activate and cost about € 15 more than one obtained from normal commercial outlets. The cheapie require checking the SSID, channel frequency, WEP encryption key and possibly the MAC address.

[quote user="WJT"]OK that just may tip me over the edge. I have too many other reasons at the moment to be called a poor sap, don't need to add anymore.[:D][/quote]You will only become a 'poor sap' in context upon commencement of utilising a Livebox [:D][:D][:D]

• 2 months later...
Has anyone been able to use a 3rd party VOIP service on FT internet? I have the livebox which appears to be blocking my voip service. I am wondering whether a Netgear router or similar will allow my VOIP to work?

[quote user="paj"]Has anyone been able to use a 3rd party VOIP service on FT internet? I have the livebox which appears to be blocking my voip service. I am wondering whether a Netgear router or similar will allow my VOIP to work?
[/quote]

There are 5 versions of Orange LiveBoxes extant, so it is difficult to advise on the relevant configuration procedure for your model.

Third party VOIP and incidentally P2P are only forbidden on 3G+ Mobile Phones for obvious commercial reasons.

I do appreciate your interest in VOIP telephone consequent to your unfortunate selection of an Orange forfait.

Any of the other FAIs such as Free or Alice include free unlimited fixed line calls to approximately 90 countries throughout the world making the use of

a Third Party VOIP service basically a pointless exercise.

As an example the hyperlink below will connect to the Free Telephone information with an informative map of the world highlighting the 100 free fixed line destinations.

http://www.free.fr/adsl/telephone.html

Archived