Complete France Forum

Problems with firing up ISP

Interesting fault today. Now I know some of you hate AOL but please don't feel the need to comment about that. The better half was tracing her favourite film star and clicked on the Home button on an American  website dedicated to movies. As the home page came up AOL shut down. Rebooting AOL gave the same result i.e. all went well until it tried to restore the last page looked at and as the page came up it shut down. This happened everytime we tried to fire up AOL 9.1. AVG Virus scans showed nothing, Spybot showed nothing. Running CCleaner had no good effect. Restore to an earlier time had no good effect. In the end I deleted AOL 9.1 (American version) and using I.E. reloaded it and all was well. So has anyone else had a similar experience? Any pointers? It looks as though the original version of AOL 9.1 had been corrupted in some way but how? AIM files all seem to have been transferred ok and stuff stored on AOL is still there but, of course stuff, stored on PC ain't there.

Had messages coming up of late, both before and after reloading AOL, saying do we want to continue running scripts on this page after switch-on, any connection? I am not a software bloke as may be obvious. The message is generated by I.E. and says Erreur de script dans Internet Explorer at the top and then Ligne 1, Characterè 1, Erreur de syntaxe, Code 0  and then a URL for Zcom.com which seems to be a Japanese site, possibly a dating agency and do we want to run scripts on this page Yes or No. Tried both after which the message disappears but seems to make little difference. Am at a bit of a loss as neither of us want a date with a Japanese person or anybody else!..........................JR 

PS By the way we are using AOL 9.1 American version as French version of AOL VR (Machine uses Vista) gave a lot of trouble and until today 9.1 has worked well.

Sometimes it really just is the website, not your computer or the ISP that's at fault, and will just get resolved in time.

That being said, it sounds as if you're using Internet Explorer.  If so, you might try going into Tools/Advanced and finding the bit where it says notify about script errors and turn that off.

Also, sometimes after website weirdness, IE will get into a maddening sort of loop where it keeps trying to pull up cached pages.  Sometimes you can resolve this by deleting your history and, especially, your cookies (which is a pain as you'll have to sign into all those pages that you're normally automatically signed in to).

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you'll need help from someone who's actually computer literate. [:)]

Hi and thanks for the reply. I was not using I.E. directly but maybe AOL software uses it in some way. I had already tried CCleaner to remove temporary files including I.E. history. I have noticed that pages viewed  using the AOL search engine get recorded in I.E. history and that is deleted by CCleaner for sure. Anyway no matter as deleting and reloading AOL 9.1 seems to have solved the problem for now!...........ATB.........................JR

Archived