Complete France Forum

Alice Administration Console

The Alice ADSL Internet Connection Administration page has experienced change to accord with the Free Admin System.

The changes mean that the dial-up option used by Reciprok members is no longer available unfortunately; this facility was useful in the case of a problem with

the ADSL connection but also the use of a dial-up connection whilst travelling away from base.

It will also not be possible top modify the script of the AliceBox firmware with local validation and storage.

An excellent tutorial outlining the modus operandi is available at the link below and should be bookmarked by all Alice ADSL users in case of need.

http://www.busyspider.fr/Alice-nouvelle-console-alicebox-wifi-securite-administration-modem-configuration-aide.php

Thank you for the information.

We noticed in the last three weeks or so that the quality of *local* calls via Alice has improved somewhat.   Both with Club Internet and with Alice we tended to make local calls via our retained FT line  (particularly if the conversation was to take place in French) as the quality was dire,  with echoes,  stuttering,  majoyr drop outs etc.

Now whilst still not wonderful it is possible to follow what is being said much more easily.

It's always been much less of a problem with calls back to Britain....

You experts might know the answer to this:

Having just explored the new control panel,   I notice that there is now an option to convert the TV socket on the box to ordinary ethernet for connection to a second computer.

I just WISH that option had been there before,   as we had,  and still have,   absolutely no luck in getting the Alice WiFi on our Sagem to work properly.   In the end we bought an additional Netgear wireless router (which works fine for WiFi,  and gives us more Ethernet sockets) but it would be useful in an emergency to be able to ditch the TV socket and use it for a second computer.

So the question is,   IS IT SAFE TO TICK THE OPTION AND TRY THIS??

I notice that there is now an option to convert the TV socket on the box to ordinary ethernet for connection to a second computer.

I just WISH that option had been there before,

The option has always been available for the reconfiguration of the second Ethernet socket from TV to a conventional LAN socket.

It was simply a matter of logging on with any internet browser to the following IP  http://192.168.1.1/mylinetvservices.html

and change the configuration.

If required the configuration could be changed back to the default TV option.

I am surprised that you were unaware of this quick and readily available option.[:D]

However by the use of CAPITALS I can see it was not for want of wishing.

Thanks both.  

Sadly we can't all be computer experts,   so there's no need for any surprise on anyone's part that I should be unaware of the geekier details of an Alice Box unless it is spelt out.    I have a feeling that PP was not a member of the forum when I was having trouble with the WiFi aspects of Alice last year. 

Satellite is more my speciality,   and indeed expertise.    So apologies that I don't make the grade on ADSL knowledge.   That's why I appreciate this forum so much.

Archived