Complete France Forum

Internet Banking - Problems with Tesco

Yesterday I attempted to open a Tesco Internet Saver Account.

In fact I had several goes,  both with Firefox and -  eventually and unwillingly - IE.

None were successful,  and all failed at the very last stage with a message:  servlet exception in Web/Inf/toolong/CA080gspb #### ##### ####   (or something a bit similar)

By this time I was in what can only be described as a rage - jointly and severally against Tescos,  computers,  and our shameful government with its policy to ruin savers.   I rang Tescos but the red mist of childish fury rendered me somewhat impatient,  albeit icily polite.    However,  the words "clearing cache" and "cookies" were just audible.

Has anyone (calm,  kind,  sympathetic) any experience of this sort of problem,  and if so could they please give a little advice.   Should I turn off cookies?  If so,  should I turn them back on again after any success?   How do I clear my cache?  When?   Do I actually want to?

I should add that I am doing this from a computer in France but we are resident for tax purposes in Britain.   It may of course be a problem with a French ISP address......?

Thanks if anyone can help.

Hi Martin,

if it is just a case of clearing cookies/cache then in Firefox, click on tools, clear recent history, select 'everything' in the 'Time range to clear' drop down box and select all the items below.

This will remove all your login details/personal settings for every site including this one...

If you want to do it another way, you could use CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ and empty your cache/cookies with that. With Ccleaner, you can choose which cookies to exclude from deletion if you wish. This may be useful if you do not want to lose settings for certain sites.

Internet Explorer is similar but, in recent version of IE8 there is a setting to preserve all the cookies/files associated with sites on your favourites so if you want to delete everything in IE8, you have to uncheck the setting at the top of Tools, Internet options, delete which says 'preserve Favourites website data'

Danny

Doesn't in fact seem to have been cookies or cache as I'm no further forward.

Better take one of my pink pills and advance boldly down that Avenue of Pleasure known as "ringing Tesco's"

Any other light to be shed?   

Maybe no-one else banks at Tesco's......

[quote user="Martin963"]

Any other light to be shed?   

Maybe no-one else banks at Tesco's......

[/quote]

I think the problem is at their end. this from Sun (Java developer);

Java

Servlet technology provides Web developers with a simple, consistent

mechanism for extending the functionality of a Web server and for

accessing existing business systems. A servlet can almost be thought of

as an applet that runs on the server side--without a face

However, that doesn't mean definately its not your PC - I 'm afraid a phone call is the only way forward [:(]

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the further comments.

And here's the footnote:-

Having been told by Tescos that my details would not be recorded as the application had "failed",  and having made several more attempts having cleared my cache......

On Saturday THREE envelopes arrived here,  all with identical details,  (apart from different application numbers) for me to open a Tesco's account.

Yesterday another one turned up,  and I fear there may be more.

They'll probably think I'm some sort of fraudster.

Indeed,  it is RBS who provide their banking service,  although they have a separate FSA licence when it comes to the Financial Services Compensation Schme (yes I checked).

Archived