Complete France Forum

DEll 4700 Drive 2 not found!

I have a dell 4700 and on start up has all of a sudden put up a message that says. Drive 2 not found, parallel ATA, PATA-0 (PRI IDE MASTER)  And it will no longer recognise the cd-rom drive and the dvd writer. You cannot even find it when going into 'My Computer' does anyone have any ideas on this.

Thanks 

I'd check that the leads are properly connected first (inside the case). Do the simple stuff.

You can download a service manual here to help you.  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/index.htm

Components do fail, even on Dell (!) and you may have to replace the drive. Try Ebay if you have to replace it, I got a new DVD rewriter for my old laptop for £20!

Sid

Of course try the leads first and I hope that works but this is a not uncommon fault with Dell that the disk controller has gone to silicon heaven.

I suspect that you may be looking at a new motherboard (less than €50 for an ordinary one) and swap all the bits over.

Oh no, wait a bit, its a Dell so it has a custom case so a standard board won't fit.

Lets just hope its a dodgy lead.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Of course try the leads first and I hope that works but this is a not uncommon fault with Dell that the disk controller has gone to silicon heaven.

I suspect that you may be looking at a new motherboard (less than €50 for an ordinary one) and swap all the bits over.

Oh no, wait a bit, its a Dell so it has a custom case so a standard board won't fit.

Lets just hope its a dodgy lead.[/quote]Let's hope is just a lead but I fear you make light of a MOBO swap Pierre. I don't know if all Dell PC's are custom cases and if it is therefore possible but remember, even if it is the change will almost certainly trigger Windows into spitting out the dummy and result in the need for a complete reinstall in which case (ha ha) the recovery CD's (if supplied) may not work - nor, by the same token, recovery data stored on the Hard drive.

Archived