Complete France Forum

tv reception

Hi

We have 2 tvs connected to one external dish ..........when it rains .......no "signal being received" on most channels. However all the news channels work and True movies 1&2. Lastly; the older tv, 6 years, holds the signal for a noticedly greater length of time than the younger tv, less than a year.

Can the rain interference problem be solved ? and why is the old tv much better than the new one and why do I continue to receive the news channels but loose Beeb 1,2 3 4and ditto ITV when I assume the signals are all from the same sat...........we are free to air.

Any advice gratefully received.

PS Missing the M/chef final, Mrs W well pisst off, might have to open another bottle.........I'll do it now.

Cheers Wilko

[quote user="Wilko"]why is the old tv much better than the new one[/quote]No 2 TV receivers will perform exactly the same but you will likely never notice the difference until things get marginal when the better one (not necessarily the newer one) will hang on to a weak signal whilst the other gives up.

Good idea about another bottle, pass the corkscrew my dear [kiss]

We loose the signal a couple of times a year. Ordinary rain is fine but full on down pour with lightening does loose the signal for perhaps 5 minutes. The performance difference is likley to be either the digiboxes, length and quality of cable connections or marginal difference in the positions of the two LNBs within the horn at the end of the arm. You can check signal strength and quality using :

Green Oval Services Button, 4 System Set Up, 6 Signal Quality

Both my sysytems have 95% quality and 90% strength. I have seen satisfactory reception with 5 % strength and 70% quality.

If you are in the deep South or West of France then an 80 cm dish may bring an improvement in any event have a look at :

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1658140/ShowPost.aspx

Which explains how to make very small adjustments to your dish and LNB alignment to improve reception 

Archived