Complete France Forum

Really confused about Sky Cards

I am getting really confused about Sky Cards and Freesat boxes.

I bought my sky digibox, dish, cables and blue viewing card as a complete package over 5 years ago and now apparently I need to change the blue card for a new white one, but as I understand it even though I can use a UK address for a new card I can't activate it because it will be over here.

I'm now looking at getting a Freesat box instead, so will it be easy to install with my existing cables and dish and does it matter that it will be used in France and not the UK.

I don't understand all the technical jargon about these things, so please could somebody explain in idiot proof language [:D]

Thank you all, I had read so many things I was starting to get gaga and replacing the card would be a lot cheaper than buying a Freesat box.

When I pay for the new white card is that where I add a different UK address as my original blue card came from somewhere in the Midlands ?

You can pay for the card with a different UK address but you really do not need one :

Versus the non subscription card you were using you will loose :

SKY3, Five Life (Fiver)  and Five US.

Press green oval services button at top of remote control

4  System Set Up

5  System details                                                                                                                                                                                         

write them down and email them to a friend in who does not have sky and ask them  to buy a Sky Card, by telephoning the number below. (Text is a lift from Freesatfromsky website)

“ Q: I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

A: All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £20. If you’d like to access the interactive services available, you’ll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400.”

Alternatively  To receive C5 without a card

Press green oval services button at top of remote control

4  System Set Up

6  Add Channels using these parameters :

10.773 GMHz

H

5/6

Search

Then move to Channel 5 add press the yellow key

When you want to watch Channel 5

Press the green oval services button then

7 other channels

It is as easy as that                                                                                                                          

I'd warn you that the one flaw in Anton's excellent advice is that you cannot put a C5 programme into the planner, thus you cannot record unless you've switched your box to 5 in advance (useless if you want to record something on another channel before or after it and you're not in/awake to swap them over.)

I bought a new card from Flea bay quite cheaply - it turned up 48 hours after I'd bought it, I popped it in the machine and it worked straight away.  But it's true, it only really matters if you are a 5US/Fiver watcher or if you record 5 stuff using the programme planner.

Archived