Complete France Forum

Opening new tab IE8

OK before anyone says Firefox, I have tried it and don't like it.

I have a problem when I try to open a new tab on IE8 a lot of the time. When I try to open anything ut the home page it just sits there trying to connect and says waiting for the host site, but if I then try to open said page on my home page it opens straight away. This is an intermittent problem, not solid and at the moment I have 5  tabs open and trying to connect with this forum. 2 connected straight away, the old home page and one other. The other 3 are still trying to connect and 'waiting for http etc'

My OP is Windoze 7 and up to now has been very good, but I am now wondering if I am going to have to reload IE8?

TP, trust you to STEAL my reply!!! I was going to say that I've even tried singing Abba in the bath and I bet you didn't even know they did that one?

Richard, we will ignore that chocolate teapot and be serious (?).  I have tried Opera and didn't get on with that either and am wondering if I will have to reload IE8. I have never had a problem with it before I went to 'doze 7 so it may just be a reload?

The IE8 problem you describe seems to be well known (IE8 fails to open new tab) but without a one stop conclusive solution. One thing you can try quickly and easily is to create a new user and see if IE8 work OK for that. If so then it points to a problem with your existing profile which might only be fixable by deleting and recreating it.

The Google toolbar has been pointed to as a culprit and possibly other add-ins and Win7 has a built in facility for managing them.

I'm interested in why you don't like Firefox. It really is an an excellent browser and highly customisable.

If you are dead against it you might find Maxthon

suits you, it's tabbed browsing is very good. I used it for a very long

time and really only switched to Firefox because the upgrades stopped

supporting one of my 3rd party add-ins.

Archived