Complete France Forum

USB Television dongles

If you already have coverage chez vous by TNT (digital terrestrial TV) then the SECAM issue becomes irrelevant as you need never bother with analogue again.

I'm sure you're aware that these things rarely just "work" when you insert them into the USB port. Computers radiate a certain amount of interference which doesn't help, and TV networks are "planned" on the basis that your receiving aerial is 10 m above ground level.

Now of course if you're close to a transmitter you may find it works fine in what used to be known as a "picnic" location by engineers, but an awful lot of folk have to resort to something a bit better than the supplied aerial.

But I daresay you knew all that already.

I should have added that IF you do indeed require analogue (until Nov 2011 maximum, may be switched off earlier in your area) then the spec should include the following

System L with SECAM colour, (sometimes abbreviated to SECAM/L).

Britain uses System I with PAL colour (I/PAL), so you'll know if you've got the right bit of the specification if you can see the British standard listed, then check if the French one is also listed.

None of the above applies to digital of course.

The cheapo thing I bought on Ebay is supposed to work world wide. Certainly downloads UK and French TV fine and is a good picture ....but ... the little antenna that comes with it is as much good as a chocolate tea pot . You need the coax cable from a roof ariel plugged into mine to get a picture worth watching . Gives me all the free view channels fine .

Archived