Complete France Forum

Bank accounts

garyf

I have recently opened an account with CA Britline, which I intended to use for the usual cash withdrawals whilst on our visits, cheques and standing orders for bills etc.

I have purchased a property in Chef- Boutonne (Deux Sevres), which happens to have a branch of Credit Agricole. I mentioned our Britline account to the French estate who said that he would strongly recommend against having one and that it would be better if I opened a local account as Credit Agricole is a mutual bank and is split into regions.

Does this mean that I wont be able to withdraw cash from the CA in Chef-Boutonne and is he correct in saying I would be better off with a local account?

There is loads of advice both for and against Brit Line in the following threads :

Owning French Property French Bank Accounts
Finance French banks (Britline)
Post Bag - Credit Card

Many people seemed to have no trouble at all with them.

If you have a Carte Bleue issued by Britline then I do not think you will have any problems drawing cash from the ATMs at Credit Agricole anywhere in France. My Banque Tarneaud CB always works at Credit Agricole.

If you are getting a MasterCard are you sure Credit Agricole are the sponsuring bank. The reason I ask is that if it is a credit card rather than a debit card then you will be charged a cash advance fee when you draw cash just as you would in the UK. It may also be issued in the UK which in turn will mean it will have a micro chip, puce ,flea which will not be the same as the French chips. This undermines the key advantage of a French debit card. Can anybody else confirm exactly which cards Brit Line issues ?

Hi Gary

We have a secondary residence (albeit in Normandy) and I find Britline ideal for what we want.As you say, they sey up standing orders, supply cheque book etc. and arrange a credit card for about 22 per annum.

Access to your account by Internet back in UK is very easy. I have contacted Britline by email and telephone speaking in English and no problems. They have arranged my house and contents insurance for 97 a year. I have withdrawn cash all over France using the card supplied.

Your Estate Agent may be right, but I would certainly give Britline a try.

ColinP

Archived