Complete France Forum

Message on startup means?

Been getting this message after switch-on, Vista system, or a reboot each day. Script../../../../ sscommon/common/inc/ss_container.js Failed to load With the heading Message de la page Web  This started after I had to force the computer off by holding in the power button as I was in a hurry to go out and AVG had decided it would not let the box shut down for some reason. The only other obvious result of this improper shut down was the loss of saved on the PC emails. The machine in all other respects is working ok but I did try changing my anti-virus software, following a suggestion on another thread, to Microsoft Security Essentials which found a Trojan Win32/Skintrim.C which was deleted. So anyone know the significance of this message please?....................................JR

PS Machine seems a lot faster since getting rid of AVG

If possible, try a system restore to a date prior to AVG failing to shut down.

How to do a system restore in Vista.

This will restore AVG and remove MSE from your system, as the computer will roll back to its state on the chosen date.

If that removes the problem, get rid of AVG and re-install MSE.

If that does not remove the problem, you can go back to your current configuration (and problem) by cancelling the system restore as above.

Thanks Clair. I think AVG would have shut down if I had awaited long enough, it was in the middle of the daily scan when I tried to power off and I should have stopped it first. I will do a restore if all else fails but I was wondering what the message related to and if it was anything important. Thanks for the link............................................JR

Brilliant and quite right I am running a Dell Inspiron 531. The message seems to be something to do with the Dell Support Centre software, something I have never used and did not work anyway. I have deleted this and downloaded a more recent version from their web site which works. It seems to be just a series of links to various things on their website. I don't know if it is worth downloading any of the updates they list for this machine. Again many thanks you have hit the nail on the head indeed as the message no longer appears.....................JR

Yes indeed in fact it was one of those two that gave me the idea of dumping AVG and trying Microsoft Security Essentials which on its first run found something that AVG had missed. The machine runs much faster since dumping AVG however I must say that other than slowing everything down I had no other problems with it. Time will tell if MSE is as good or better. I run Avast on my old Millenium based machine and that seems ok too.................................JR

PS Would you not recommend a daily scan with MSE and if so which quick or full scan?

Archived