Complete France Forum

DVD copies of free downloads and French law

Been struggling through this article http://www.journaldunet.com/expert/9763/telechargement-illegal---quels-sont-les-risques-encourus.shtml to see if I would be in trouble if I downloaded a programme from this site http://www.top-serie.org/dr-who and burnt it to a DVD to give to a French friend who expressed an interest to watch it with a French sound track. Could it be traced back to that computer used to create it? What checks can be done to ensure a DVD or CD has no computer identity recorded on it? The question is asked because it is not always possible to easily determine if copyright rules apply to some stuff freely available on the web and French law seems confusing on this topic to say the least!.................JR

With the amount of downloading that goes on by millions, I doubt anyone is going to bat an eyelid if you were to do that one insignificant thing.

And even if your computer info were recorded onto the dvd (which I doubt it is), how would anyone know it was your computer? I don't think there is a big computer datrabase that stores peoples addresses to a computer id.

I wouldn't worry about it.

"C-Date pop under" is that bad? What is it as I know not of what you speak? Comes up normally for me.......................JR

PS If it were just for me I would not worry but if you give it to someone else does this make a difference under French law? You cannot control what they do with it.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

"C-Date pop under" is that bad? What is it as I know not of what you speak? Comes up normally for me.......................JR

[/quote]

The Patcha guy/woman has a habit of trying to confuse issues by using language he knows/hopes you will not understand. I believe a pop-under is like a pop-up window but opens behind the window you are viewing. He possibly means copyright date by "C-Date" but this is by no means obvious.

I don't get that pop under window either when I open your link so perhaps Patcha guy/woman has a virus or something nasty on his puter.

I would go ahead and write your CD/DVD I doubt anyone will be bothered and it will not track back to you.

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="JohnRoss"]

[/quote]

The Patcha guy/woman has a habit of trying to confuse issues by using language he knows/hopes you will not understand. I believe a pop-under is like a pop-up window but opens behind the window you are viewing. He possibly means copyright date by "C-Date" but this is by no means obvious.

I don't get that pop under window either when I open your link so perhaps Patcha guy/woman has a virus or something nasty on his puter.

I would go ahead and write your CD/DVD I doubt anyone will be bothered and it will not track back to you.

[/quote]

In this case, I got exactly the same as Pachapapa and he expressed it quite succinctly. It was a pop under (window which appears behind the window you are using) which was an invite to join C-date (a dating website) and there were others too!

Nothing to do with viruses. Probably more to do with pop up blocker settings on the computer.

Danny

[quote user="JohnRoss"]Been struggling through this article http://www.journaldunet.com/expert/9763/telechargement-illegal---quels-sont-les-risques-encourus.shtml to see if I would be in trouble if I downloaded a programme from this site http://www.top-serie.org/dr-who and burnt it to a DVD to give to a French friend who expressed an interest to watch it with a French sound track. Could it be traced back to that computer used to create it? What checks can be done to ensure a DVD or CD has no computer identity recorded on it? The question is asked because it is not always possible to easily determine if copyright rules apply to some stuff freely available on the web and French law seems confusing on this topic to say the least!.................JR [/quote]

If you are using I.E8, could you use the in private browsing feature which I believe blocks your IP address and would therefore make it a lot harder to trace? i.e. they would be chasing easier targets first, if anyone is actually chasing anyone.

In Private browsing does not block your IP address (there are many other ways to do that) it just allows you to use Internet Explorer without keeping records (history, cookies etc) of your browsing on your computer. Your IP address is broadcast to your ISP and the world when you connect to the internet.

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

In this case, I got exactly the same as Pachapapa and he expressed it quite succinctly.

Danny

[/quote]

Yes - so succinctly the OP didn't have a clue what he was on about. How on earth is anyone supposed to know what C-Date is if they have never seen the pop-up or been on their website?

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="Jane and Danny"]

In this case, I got exactly the same as Pachapapa and he expressed it quite succinctly.

Danny

[/quote]

Yes - so succinctly the OP didn't have a clue what he was on about. How on earth is anyone supposed to know what C-Date is if they have never seen the pop-up or been on their website?
[/quote]

Well they could perhaps enter C-Date in the search bar of  Google.

"Résultats 1 à 10 sur un total d'environ 503 000 000 pour c-date.com (0,45 secondes) "

Ahhhh seems a popular site!![:D][:D][:D]

Surprised you didn't know about it.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

Doh I thought I was being thick!...................................JR

PS So do DVDs and CDs have data about the machine on which they were created or not folks?

[/quote]

Hi John,

Simple answer is no.

Regards

Well thanks tel and everyone. I think the missus would have something to say about my looking at a dating site. I have iportal for when I look at BBC iplayer. All this business about what is and what is not legal is most confusing. The site I referred to is a free site to all, no registration required. If it were illegal to use it you would think the powers that be would close it down, it appears to be a French site! This is a very complicated issue and I wonder what chance the average person has of knowing what he or she can do or otherwise and stay within the law in the country in which they are resident...............JR

The law is an ass as they say.

But I don't think anyone is going to lose any sleep over this. If they did, you'd wonder what they are doing wasting their time over someone downloading Dr Who when there are far more serious issues to be sorted.

I'll have to show that site to my French friend. He's well into sci fi, Dr Who might appeal to him.

[quote user="Richard"]I believe (but am by no means certain) that the highly talked about iportal would be one way to confuse your isp when downloading.[/quote]

My current particulars:

Connexion Internet

Etat de la connexionConnecté
Type de connexionPPPoA
Adresse IP82.255.11.48

Now that is funny when I activate iPortal it does not "hide" my IP from Alice.

What's that?

Oh! I see I have to activate iPortal BEFORE I start my 'puter (Jayspeak edit)[:D]

Archived