Complete France Forum

NewSat box

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

CNN and Sky News transmit in clear on notional 19 degrees East which means that you need to move the dish about 11 degrees further East.

Searh on 'broken' for advice on relacing oven and fire glasses

[/quote]

and tip the dish DOWN a little bit (I'd guess about 2 cms as measured by the travel of the LNB).    Satellites of this sort sit in a sort of rainbow arrangement in the sky,   stretching from SE to SW.   So as you move away from south they hang lower.

Try and mark the direction and elevation of where you are now.    (Chinagraph pencil/).   As you've found Astra 1 it'll act as a "base" while you search for Astra 2.   You're getting there!

I have one of those meters AnOther and found it less than useless.    Prefer (and have always used) Tim's method.   One day I'll buy myself a little LCD 7 inch TV for the display though as it'll make it a lot easier.   All a matter of taste though,  whatever works for whoever.....!

Yes it is a knack,  you have to do a few,  and suddenly you wonder what the problem was.

(and good luck with the fire glass,   it may be the "wrong thread",   but that doesn't stop people giving you useful advice and feeling sympathetic,   it was maddening for you!)

[quote user="Tim"]

Satfinders are ok - up to a point. They certainly do find satellites, but unless you get hold of a very expensive one, they don't tell wheher you've got the right satellite - and there's quite a few up there.

I usually take a spare satellite receiver (not a Sky box, they're useless), a portable TV and a short piece of cable and link it all directly to the dish. That way I can see what's going on whilst tweaking the dish for optimum strength and quality.

I admit it's a bit of a pain and obviously weather dependant, but I've always managed to get a reliable end result.

Tim[/quote]Agreed Tim, I wasn't suggesting that a sat finder was any more than an initial starting point but that it's better than point and hope and once you have a bit of experience you can usually get pretty close pretty quickly. For the average punter who might only ever set up their own dish once or twice obviously the expense of a proper tester is not justifiable.

Update!!!

Yippee!! Got it! Though got completly stressed out over it!

It was not the angle the dishfinder said. Working with a compass and angles given.. nothing. Swung it around in fit of pique and about to stomp off into the warm(we were outside with box and tv on a workmate) and up came the perfect picture!! NewSat box , is favorite with hubby as better picture, but I like the sky box as I know it well, tv guide, and I can get more channels.

Local brico(yes I know wrong thread !! ) had to order glass, 155 euros and delivery in January, as glass supplier on hol over Christmas. So we have also sat with superstrong araldite and wire, now I´m off for a cosy night in front of the fire and Spooks!! But not before a big thankyou for all your help!!

[quote user="Tim"]

Good news - I always find it easier to actually see on the screen what is going on when that doing sort of thing.

Well done - Tim

[/quote]

Except there is a delay with the signal getting to the screen and by then you may have moved off target.

I disagree with Ernie, my cheapish sat finder is the end of the search, the fine tuning, a compass and directions are the start point.

You misunderstand me I think, naturally the compass alignment is always the first step [;-)]

I never use the sat finder for fine tuning though. Whilst the on screen signal indication may be slow to actually lock on once it is there (courtesy of the sat finder) I find it far better to use that for fine tuning as the sat finder only responds to strength which of course does not necessarily coincide with highest quality.

Well, that depends on the equipment, I think.

I use an agéd and rather expensive (at the time) receiver to do the job.

It has an easy to see, full screen signal strength and quality indicator, although I admit that most people would not have such a piece of equipment.

I have a satfinder as well, but I know what has given me the best results over the years.

Regards - Tim

Now boys and girls let us not fall out over this! You were all helpful, even the fact that you were all saying slightly different things!! We played with the signal strength and quality with the Sky box.

Archived