Complete France Forum

Hi,

I ordered my new Sky viewing card last week and they (as usual) took the money from my UK account within hours of my doing so. However, 10 days later it has not been received at the UK address I used when ordering. Some friends who are coming over for Xmas said I could send it to their address. So then I contacted Sky and asked where it was and got the following e-mail:-

Due to

the nature of your enquiry we would require further information from you, can

you please call our Freesat from Sky customer services department on 08448 244

Kind

Regards

Sky Help

Centre

Should I contact them as I have not got freesat or anything like it, in fact like most people who have had to get a new card, I only need it for the 5 channels (CSI geekess)!!

tuppence

Hi Tuppence

I ordered mine from Sky's website and although it said I would recieve a confirmation E-mail none was recieved.

I E-mailed them and got a standard reply saying cust services would E-mail me back, luckily however the card arrived in

post before they replied which they never did. I would not panic it's probably stuck in the Xmas post. 

Merry Xmas

In response top payrac-man's post, card arrived with friends yesterday. However it doesn't work [6] and a message comes on screen telling me to contact Sky. Not a good idea as I live in France. The only thing I have noticed is that the original banner across the screen seems to have disappeared. Needless to say I am still using the blue card so that I can access all channels. Any ideas on what to do about the new card will be gratefully received ( as long as the replies are clean!!!)[:-))].

tuppence

Hi Tuppence

Yes leave it 24 hrs if that does'nt work get your friends to ring sky when they get home make sure they take

the box serial number (huge number and letters on bottom of box mine is17 digits it's next to the long barcode) with the viewing

card number.Arrange a time to suit you both leave the card in the slot your friends can say that they are ringing from work when sky ask questions about the box.

It will be switched on straight away.

Merry Xmas

Tried leaving the new card in for 24 hours but now all 5 channels have disappeared altogether. Tried the old card and the same thing no, 5 channels available. So it seems Sky have chopped them off my list!!  Although this is not life threatening it is difficult to phone Sky, unless I use my UK mobile (at another cost). It looks as though that will be my only recourse at present[:(]. Has anyone else had this problem recently?

tuppence

Yes, a UK phone call had to be made and they wanted the basic info you get off the set-up.

You don't need to be in front of a telly ... all Sky are doing is getting the serial number of the box. So, go into Services, System Setup, System Details and note down the Version No, the Serial No and the EPG S/W Version.

Ours still didn't give us any ITV, 24 hours after giving Sky the details on a UK line, so we went back to first principles....we unplugged it all and left it to have a think. It woke up when we plugged it back in and all was well.

Hi Polly..

Presumably you live in France??????    Did you completely unplug (aerial and electric socket)? I unplugged mine this morning for half an hour just the electric socket though. Still no go. I then did what Clair said on an earlier post and added Channel 5 in via the System Setup and that works OK. Only the other 5 channels did sort of come up but with the Sky message telling me that the card wasn't working. They just don't make things simple do they?? Let me know if you unplugged both aerial and socket if you would and maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your help

tuppence

Thanks Coops,

I have a friend in the UK at present who is not back till Tuesday pm. I have contacted him via Skype  so that I can give him all the details that SKY may ask for.

I do appreciate all the replies I've received on this subject, thanks to all those who posted.

tuppence

Hi,

Just an update on the Sky viewing card problem. Had a friend in the UK telephone SKY this morning and was told it would take up to 4 hours to get activated. Waited 5 hours and nothing happened so I took the proverbial bull by the horns and rang from France using my UK mobile. She then sorted it all out for me there and then and I now have all my 5 channels + SKY3 which I never had before. Good job I topped my mobile up earlier this morning[:-))]

tuppence

Well I had similar problems to Tuppence, I lost channel 5 over the weekend because I was waiting for a replacement card to arrive. All I got was a blank screen half way through a film. After a reboot I got the same old Channel not available message. I don't have a UK address so I bought one from Ebay (ouch 40 quid but with the wife breathing down your neck whats a chap to do). Unfortunately it had already been activated in another box.

I remembered that when my box was installed back in the UK the Sky installer activated my card from within the box. I went through all the menus on the box and couldn't find anything to do this so I did a bit of 'digging around' on the Internet. There is a 'secret' installers menu (attention its a bit dangerous to fiddle with this and can lead to screwing your box permanently so not for the feint hearted) so I Googled "Sky Installers Menu". To get to it you select 'Services' then type in the following number sequence 4 0 1 'Select'. Change the phone number prefix to #44 then use the last option "New Installation" with the phone line connected and caller identify turned off. The box will call Sky and register the card to your box even if the card has already been activated. After a few minutes all my channels were back and the 'wrong card' message disappeared.

Good luck but remember this is a very dangerous menu to play around with, you have been warned and I accept no responsibility if you muck it up.

Archived