Complete France Forum

Set my friends up with the neufbox on their computer today.

When we plugged it in, it was all singing and dancing lights and everything.

As soon as I connected to it via wi fi all the lights went out, including the power light.

Was bizarre as it still works and can connect to the internet etc, just has no lights.

Is this normal for it?

[quote user="Clair"]There is a setting to turn the lights off, but I think you have to actually select it in the configuration. The default is "lights on".

[/quote]

Interestingly enough a friend called me just before Xmas re a slight Neufbox problem and adding also that the lights on the box had gone out. I know nothing about Neuf boxes but seeing as we are thinking about swapping to Neuf/SFR I said I would have a look. The problem was easily solved and, as you say Clair, discovered the option to have lights on box was not ticked, so I ticked it and the lights came back on. On enquiring it seems the last people to access the box had been visitors registering the security number so they could use their own laptops whilst staying in the B & B. So does this mean that if you switch on the wifi the lights go out?

[quote user="Clair"]We use wifi and the SFR/Neuf box lights are off. [/quote]

That is interesting as with Orange all the lights stay on when using wifi.

Thanks a lot.

Clair to the rescue once again![:)]

Edit: I did end with a smilie but it has not appeared. Either this site is playing up or the latest version of FF is not smilie friendly.

I don't use wifi, but once tried, and all the lights went off..

But if you got any problem with the neufbox, call 1077 , choose " parler à un technicien "; ( I think it's option 2), and if they can't solve a pb online, they send a techinician to your place to try and sort it out, and it's free.

I know, I ve used the service myself for my neufbox.

When we first got our NEUF box, it was lights on,  I changed it to lights off.  I think they ran a campaign some time ago to get people to turn the lights off to reduce energy consumption (bit like John Prescotts' bid to get people to put the SKY box to standby).  I think they then changed the default to lights off, again to save energy.

You cerainly don't need the lights on,  the only ones that you cannot turn off are the  RJ45 sockets for the connection to the computer, TV etc, if its on you are connected.  There is nothing for the Wi Fi lights wise.

If you want to get "into" the NEUF box, typing 192.168.1.1 into the address part of the tool bar in Internet Explorer brings it up for me.  You then push the centre top light on the NEUF box for 5 second and press enter on the page, or use you pass words if you know them, and you are in.  Much safer then WD 40, hammers etc, but know what you are doing before you change the settings in some areas!

Well I'm all for saving but that's taking it to extremes I must say. At a rough calculation a set of 5 LEDs on an average router might consume around 2.5-3 units of electricity in a year and you're talking a saving of a couple of € at best.

If you're really into that level of micro management far better you switch the whole thing off overnight and save many times that. Assuming a very conservative 10w and switched off for only 6 hours a day you're now talking about saving around 20+ units per annum.

Archived