Complete France Forum

Please help urgently - no internet!

We recently moved house. We had Neuf/SFR as our ISP at the old house and asked them to connect it at the new house. We had France Telecom install a phone line (it hadn't had one before as it's a brand new house). The line went dead on Friday and on Saturday Neuf texted to say the ADSL is working.

We can't make it work and we think it's because at the old house we had a big phone socket which the ADSL filter plugged into with the little socket plugged into the bottom of the filter and back to the Neufbox.

At out new house there are only the little sockets on the walls so the ADSL filter won't plug into them. We've tried using other sockets/adapters, but they haven't helped.

Has anyone got any suggetions please?

I'm on a laptop outside McDonalds so I'll come back later for any ideas.

Many thanks if you can help!

Have a look in the box your router came in there may be an adaptor if not you will have to go and buy one. Its got a little plug on one end (called RJ11) of a short bit of cable (about 6" long) and an old style socket on the other. Plug the little socket in to the phone outlet, your filter in to the old style socket and the cable to the router in to the socket on the old style filter. I can't see that they are that expensive to buy by the way.

But has FT plugged it in at their end as it were. The cable from the exchange to your house still belongs to FT. Basically, if it were an existing line, they, FT have to unplug it at their end and move it across to the ISP's 'box'. You might find thats the problem, they haven't connected you,  but you can check via the Orange helpdesk. I have heard this can happen because Orange users take preference, allegedly.

Archived