Complete France Forum

My computer is running at 90-100% CPU's

I've been having trouble with my PC for a little time now, its only about 2 years old, so it's not clapped out yet!

After it has been on maybe 1/2 hour it starts to run slow (or fast which ever way you see it!) The CPU's rise to 80-100% and stay there making it almost impossible to do anything with it, the internal fan comes on and whizzes like a mad thing for minutes on end, I have looked at the task manager and can see that the main culprit in the rise of CPU's is a process called 'Percentage of time the processor is idle' which runs at between 40-83% most of the time, the only way out of this is to do a restart.

Can anyone help or does anyone recognise this problem and what can I do about it? 

Quote from liutilities website "the System Idle Process is not a

process, more a counter which is displayed in WinTasks used for

measuring how much idle time the CPU is having at any particular time.

This counter will display how much CPU Resources, as a percentage are

'idle' and available for use. Cannot be killed"

So if system idle process is showing 100% it means that nothing is

using any cpu power and it is all available for use.

This is completely

normal.

However, the rest of it needs a look at  - have you done a full virus scan?

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]

Quote from liutilities website "the System Idle Process is not a process, more a counter which is displayed in WinTasks used for measuring how much idle time the CPU is having at any particular time.
This counter will display how much CPU Resources, as a percentage are 'idle' and available for use. Cannot be killed"

So if system idle process is showing 100% it means that nothing is using any cpu power and it is all available for use.

This is completely normal.

However, the rest of it needs a look at  - have you done a full virus scan?

[/quote]

OK I think I understand most of that[blink], When I do a start or a restart the PC is OK for a while and even if I don't touch it for an hour after its started I can hear it whizzing up and I know its not because I have been using it, I can look at the task manager and the CPU are up in the 90-100%!!

I have the free version of AVG and do a scan every week and it comes up with nothing.

"So if system idle process is showing 100% it means that nothing is using any cpu power and it is all available for use."
When this is running so high the PC will crash if I ask it to do to much and v.slow if it can cope at all.

Well if I click on CPU it changes so quick I cant read the processes[:-))] but if I look at processes the CPU still change a lot but this is how it waswhen it is whizzing:

IE  around 14

Side bar around18

Google chrome up to 35

Task manager up to 25

mcci+Mccitray app 10

Avg residence shield service 10

Host process for Windows services 10

[8-)]

Edit : its taking so long to reply that I think I will do a restart

Is it a laptop or a desktop?? May sound a bit daft, but try running the vacum over the fan vents, or try blowing the dust out of the fan casing. If the fans get clogged with dust, they run more, heat the computer parts more and this can really slow things down....

Archived