Complete France Forum

Linksys WRE54G range expander!!!

Hello If only life was simple.

Purchased one of these range expanders to get a bit further range in our property for our gite guests but it does not seem to like me! I have tried it all the ways it says to try it with the eithernet cable, Without cable 'Wireless' Auto configiration button and NO it does not want to know.

Its just oh so frustrating I can't stand it.

It can find find the livebox as its coming up with a second one but says is unsecured which I take to be the expander throwing out the signal. When you try and connect to this it will not do it, even after it has done all the troubleshooting etc.

Any ideas anyone, Especially from the person that says they are good, I have no doubt they are but not for me at the moment AGHHHHHHH....

I have no more hair to pull out, Help before I start pulling out finger nails or something.

If I remember correctly, you have to set the extender to be in 'Bridge' configuration.  It is well described in the manual how to do this.

I do sympathise, I have one which works perfectly now but took untill 0100 in the morning before I stumbled on the Bridge setting (and I have no hair left either)

I think it was me you were talking about [:(]

OK, you can't use the auto button because it won't work for the way you need to configure it. Everything has to be the same as on your LiveBox so you need to be able to connect to it via an Ethernet cable and set it up. Rather than retype it here you can follow the example in the link below.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4104

Hope that helps.

Just for anyone else the reason it does not Auto setup is because your main network is secure so it can't get access to set its self up. You could overcome this by removing the security from the LiveBox although I have never tried that.

Don't forget you get to the LiveBox by typing 192.168.1.1 in to your browser. You may also find it easier to install the Google Toolbar which will translate 'on the fly' for you although I seem to remember somebody saying that with the new LiveBox you can change it to English.

Google Toolbar http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/toolbar/ie/index.html#tbbrand=

Yes it's all your fault.... Only kidding just wish it was easier.

Right I looked at the link etc and thought yeah I can do that! Followed the link as far as 'The web based set up page click here' Clicked and it woun't do a thing goes or shows me nothing. I even went to the Ciscos page and its got a peice about setting up etc and its the same as you sent me with the same click 'here' for the web based set up page and again the same?

I got all the bits about browser number,Ip address from the livebox page buty cannot see what to do with it.

I reset the expander as I found on the net till the link light was red attached the expander to my pc with a eithernet cable and am now lost,(Slumps in chair) Any more ideas? I'm all ears, Now i have no hair. Any idea about a temporary disable of the livebox security. Do you think I could then just turn it back on afterwards?

I have just found a step by step way of with a bit of luck sorting the problem on the Linksys forum so I will give it a try most of it is all arranged around taking out the security etc and putting it back in in a certain sequence. I've had enough today buty will try another day and if it doesn't work, As Arnie says 'I'LL BE BACK......

No you don't have to click on the links on the page. Connect your PC directly to the extender with an Ethernet cable then fire up the Linksys 'Setup Wizard'. If memory serves you have two PC's one of which is wireless so you can use that to look at the LiveBox settings then enter and/or check them on the Extender as you work the way through your setup. Don't forget the important part is the WiFi settings on the LiveBox which have to be identical on the extender. The link I have you is for visual reference so you can see what you are supposed to be looking at.

Thanks Quillan, I know I must sound a bity thick but where do I find the 'Set up wizard'? I know that its usuall that anything you plug in comes up with do you want to run the install wizard is this the same or noty? Or do I have to get the set up wizard from somewhere else as i tried the disc that came with it which was supposed to set up with but it really did not want to know on my windows 7 pc, But got further down the set up route on my old Xp pc!

I am running all my pc's wireless as its so much better than having all those wires and only 2 are ever used at once and ones a netbook.

I wrote down all the things I may need from the orange/livebox page so i should not need one as a reference.

Thanks for evereyones help and I will keep you posted.

Yes the XP pc does have a eithernet port so will try and give it a try on that one.

Do you think that any of the security etc has to be switched off though or can I just run through the set up menu ok do you think as you did say at the start that it was the security not letting it connect or is that only because it was trying via wi-fi?

Thankyou

Archived