Complete France Forum

An odd situation.

Less than two weeks ago we lost internet (and phone), it worked out that the filter was faulty. The helpline said they had run out of ideas but change the filter in case....although they had never had such a fault. Filter changed, internet back, great.

Yesterday it happened again, a filter fault, new filter, internet back ok.

No one I know has ever had such a fault, nevermind two in two weeks. Is it coincidence as both filters were supplied at the same time with the livebox (which has been perfect for many months) or is there some underlying cause which can cause filters to fail.

ADSL filters come in many flavours but in principal are all the same and contain only passive components which I'd be surprised to see failing.

Some may contain a fuse though and clearly it's quite possible for that to blow in case of a surge so maybe that is what happened to yours.

A different type, such as can be bought off the shelf in any Brico, may be the answer but if it is a fuse being taken out and you use one without then the next surge might get past and into the Livebox with more serious consequences.

[quote user="AnOther"]

ADSL filters come in many flavours but in principal are all the same and contain only passive components which I'd be surprised to see failing.

Some may contain a fuse though and clearly it's quite possible for that to blow in case of a surge so maybe that is what happened to yours.

A different type, such as can be bought off the shelf in any Brico, may be the answer but if it is a fuse being taken out and you use one without then the next surge might get past and into the Livebox with more serious consequences.

[/quote]

Thanks AnO, I figured it was a rather strange fault type. As you say, all passive components. I can't figure it out. They may be fused types but I will never know as they have been binned by SWMBO to avoid confusion in the future. An Intermarche sourced one is being used at the moment, it may be fused, it may not.....time will tell I suppose.

The best scenario would be two filters from the same bad batch, but.......................

I suppose I should have expected the ''filters blocked with ash'' type of comment   [:D]

Archived