Complete France Forum

IMG Burn problem

Not really to do with France but someone may have had this experience. Been transferring progs from the Humax box to the computer using a USB key. This works well but of late DVDFlick has been giving trouble when burning a DVD. The problem seems to be that when IMG Burn tries to burn a disk the following message appears: Power Calibration Area Error and it makes multiple retries but same message each time. Tried different types of DVD blanks and tried deleting and downloading DVDFlick/IMG Burn anew but no go. Also tried different write speeds. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 531. Does this mean that the DVD drive/burner unit needs replacing or are there some other tests I should do? Is it worth taking the unit out and check for dust on some lens? The system plays DVDs ok..................JR

Power Calibration is a function of the drive itself and will not be influenced either by the host machine or the burning software. Basically the drive adjusts the power and focus of the laser to suit the specific type of medium in use. It will probably continue to play perfectly because it is does not use the laser in the same way as does for burning.

You could try cleaning the lens but I have yet to see that solve an optical drive problem on a long term basis so it sounds like a new drive I'm afraid.

If your using Vista or Windows 7 you can burn to DVD, try just copying a few files from within Windows and see if that works. I actually prefer Nero which seems far more stable than anything else including Windows. Version 11 (new and latest) has all the up to date codec's and can also burn blue-ray if you have a drive of course.

Thanks for the info folks. Opened a new pack of disks last night, TX disks, and had another go and it worked perfectly. The disks are DVD-R and I used a writing speed of 12x. Other disks I have tried recently are Exel DVD-RW with a write speed of 1x or 2x which have not given reliable performance, usually breaking up and freezing after halfway through the playback. I will try it again over the next few days but I am not confident that the problem will not reappear. Could be a combination of things I suppose............JR

• 2 weeks later...

Archived