Complete France Forum

Laptop with windows 7

Ok, I'm going for a new lappy. Seen one in Auchan for 399 euros with Windows 7.

Just a quick question regarding win 7, will I be able to set it up in English? My wife's Vista French laptop we were able to set to English. I dare say Win 7 has the same option?

This is the one I'm considering

http://www.auchan.fr/vad/article/ficheArticle.jsp?&rayon=8231&fromssrayon=true&ssrayon=8233&afficheProduit=1&cug=337563

Ordinateur portable Athlon 64 TF-20 3072.Mo (1024+2048) 250.Go Ecran 15.6.pouces ATI Radeon X1200 Windows 7 Premium

A good deal do you think?

Not my favorite by far but you might consider Dell. My wife bought one from their English website for delivery in France with English keyboard and software. We just bought the basic machine with an operating system (Windows XP Pro) and nothing else then used the install disks for Office etc from the old machine and it worked fine. To get over the key problem (when it checks at the end of the install that Office is not on another machine) I used a product that tells Microsoft it was a legit copy. I don't consider I have done anything illegal as the other machine is scrapped and the HDD destroyed (put a hammer through it) so there is only one copy in use.

Yeah, mine's a Dell and I did just that a couple of years ago with it, bought it via the UK.

Was not that overly impressed with mine after about a year of use.

I wouldn't feel guilty about using Office on your new comp either Quillan. In fact I probably wouldn't feel guilty if I had it on both and they were both operational.

Quillan,

If it was an OEM version of office, then it was sold to be used with the one (old) machine, so Microsoft will consider that you have done something illegal. You would not have needed to use the dodgy key software to disguise this.

I doubt they will be chasing you up though[:)]

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

Quillan,

If it was an OEM version of office, then it was sold to be used with the one (old) machine, so Microsoft will consider that you have done something illegal. You would not have needed to use the dodgy key software to disguise this.

Danny

[/quote]

No it wasn't an OEM product. When I was a mcne we used to be able to deregister a product ourselves but its been a few years since my certification ran out and also my access. You can do it, or you used to be able to do it, over the phone by calling Reading direct but its such a pain now to find the right person and there is no guarantee they will actually do it even when they say they will which of course is the legal way to swap machines.

P.S. I just read my previous post again, not very good is it. What I meant was Office didn't actually come with the old machine. I had a (new) copy which I installed on that then moved it to another when the first machine went bang.

[quote user="Clair"]With Vista, you could get a choice of installation languages only by purchasing Vista Ultimate or an upgrade (or installing Vistalizator).

I doubt you will have a choice with a basic version of W7, but you could try the program above, as it says it works with W7 too.

See reviews here.

[/quote]

Good little application, although it blocks certain programs from starting. Many thanks though.

If i don't get on with Vista, I might just install XP on it from my old laptop.

[quote user="Richard"]Excellent.

Many thanks.

Microsot, trying to cream extra money again. Thought the multiple language os was standard now.[/quote]Not sure quite how you equate an operating system only being available in the language of the country in which it is sold 'creaming extra money', more the opposite I would say.

If Windows 7 were multilingual by default the 99% of French customers who will only ever want it in French would pay extra for the 1% who happened to want something else.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Richard"]Excellent.

Many thanks.

Microsot, trying to cream extra money again. Thought the multiple language os was standard now.[/quote]Not sure quite how you equate an operating system only being available in the language of the country in which it is sold 'creaming extra money', more the opposite I would say.

If Windows 7 were multilingual by default the 99% of French customers who will only ever want it in French would pay extra for the 1% who happened to want something else.

[/quote]

Why? Why wouldn't it just be the same price?

[quote user="Richard"]

Why? Why wouldn't it just be the same price?

[/quote]

Well, to be fair, if M$ were to make all languages available on an issue, it would need a room-full of CDs to distribute, which would rack up the cost.

However, I see no reason why they shouldn't make any language pack available for download *for free*. Now there's a novel idea! The GNU/Linux world has been doing just that for years, of course.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

Quillan,

Danny

[/quote]

Many apologies for crashing this subject, however, I am running Windows 7 and IE7 and since I have my quotes are coming out as above.

Is this due to the operating system or do I need to change something?

Thanks and sorry

Paul

Archived