Complete France Forum

As far as I know it's mainly down to number of people using that type of machine/software.

Those inclined to produce that sort of thing like to go for 'maximum inconvenience'.

I think it's been noticed that as there are more Apples around, more viruses are produced for them - they are not immune.

Regards - Tim

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]So, why aren't they prone to viruses? No system is 100% safe, so why don't Apple's get viruses?[/quote]

Oh dear, we have been here before. Yes they do get viruses but are less prone than Windows based machine. Unlike Windows, Mac OS X applications don't share a common registry. Mac OS X applications use individual preference files so the types of global configuration changes which enable so much of Windows malware is simply not as feasible on a Mac. On Mac OS X, the Web browser is not integrated into the operating system - it's a completely separate and independent application. This isolates the browser, a common infection point for Windows users, and helps insulate the Mac OS from external attack. Root access is needed in order for malware to interact with other programs (i.e. steal passwords, intercept transmissions, etc.) By default, root access on a Mac is not enabled.

The answer to your question also depends on the version of the Mac operating system in question. While Windows tends to be essentially the same "under the hood", the various flavors of the Macintosh OS vary widely. So the answer to the question is Yes, there are real Mac viruses out there. But whether you are vulnerable or not depends on the OS. As for malware in general, it's an even stronger Yes.

I have been using Linux for years now on 3 PCs, I have installed it on a couple of PCs for mates too. None of them has any anti virus software on those PCs, and none have ever had any sort of virus either.

Archived