Complete France Forum

Are they interchangeable with Scarts or do they only work for HD signals?  I ask because I have a non-HD telly but several bits of HD ready kit (including the satelite decoder, DVD hard drive recorders etc) and I hate SCARTS so it would be nice to use HDMI cables where there's an input and output available - for instance between a sat box and a DVD recorder.

Ok your tele has got scart and RF aerial connections; it might be worth checking whether the tele also has a YUV connection. There will be three RCA female sockets grouped together, usually red , blue and green; they may be marked with YCrCb. All BluRay players will have them and most DVD players. A YUV cable is no where near as expensive as an HDMI cable, it will give a better connection than a scart plug made from recycled sardine tins.

The snag with SCARTs - made from sardine cans or gold (what I usually aim for), is that the design is just so daft and they make a right mess behind the telly (I have 8 different bits of kit wired in just to give you an idea of what we're dealing with here[:-))], plus the Hi Fi - 4 more black boxes - under my telly) as inevitably even if the bits of kit are on top of each other or next door, the sockets nearly always point in the least convenient direction for the set up.  If  I can use something more space efficient in places it will help.  I hope to go HD once my all singing all dancing room is ready but that's for the future; however it does mean that an investment in HDMI cables at this stage won't be wasted.

I'll check with the manuals to see if they have YUV but I want fewer wires to be honest, not more!

[quote user="cooperlola"]

The snag with SCARTs - made from sardine cans or gold (what I usually aim for), is that the design is just so daft and they make a right mess behind the telly (I have 8 different bits of kit wired in just to give you an idea of what we're dealing with here[:-))], plus the Hi Fi - 4 more black boxes - under my telly) as inevitably even if the bits of kit are on top of each other or next door, the sockets nearly always point in the least convenient direction for the set up.  If  I can use something more space efficient in places it will help.  I hope to go HD once my all singing all dancing room is ready but that's for the future; however it does mean that an investment in HDMI cables at this stage won't be wasted.

I'll check with the manuals to see if they have YUV but I want fewer wires to be honest, not more!

[/quote]

The Scart is a european invention...the rest of the world wont touch it. I went 1080p + Blu Ray this time last year, the way forward HDMI the scart plug of the 21st century for the europeans, invented for them by non-europeans.

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="pachapapa"]

The Scart is a european invention...the rest of the world wont touch it. I went 1080p + Blu Ray this time last year, the way forward HDMI the scart plug of the 21st century for the europeans, invented for them by non-europeans.

[/quote]

Worse than that French péritel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

[/quote]

When is a péritel not a scart. When it is a euroconector.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%A9ritel

[quote user="pachapapa"]the way forward HDMI the scart plug of the 21st century for the europeans, invented for them by non-europeans.[/quote]

Invented  for the American Hollywood-lobby, HDMI integrates a full copy protection protocol in which the author and the provider of the material are able to control your equipment. In theory Hollywood may decide that your tv is not allowed to display their movie and it wont. This protocol is so complicated that the first problems have already occurred where equipment erroneously refuses to display or record a certain program or tv channel. 

Not the way forward but backwards.[:(]

Archived