Complete France Forum

What kind satellite equipment?

Hi all. For my birthday (an important one) my Mother bought me a flat screen tv at the local Leclerc. As the tv reception where we are is pretty poor, and that TNT has not yet arrived, i have decided to have a satellite connection.

Question:

- Can any dish (of the correct diameter) do the trick? I was recommended 60cm.

- Is the LMB important? Does it have to be a french LMB??

- What about the box itself? I guess a french type box is needed to receive french tv programms.

- Last question, is satellite tv free to receive? or is there a magic something to acquire for that?

Thank you

hi

if you want french (dont know why you would its pretty poor) but, France 24 is on astra 28.2 along with english channels if you want the other french channels then you need a motorised setup.

you can buy the receiver twin LNB and dish for around 75 euros ( axil ) and the motor is around 80 euros ( worth the money as there are many other satellites which broadcast good tv ),

you can pick them off the shelf at Brico depot.

good luck

Yes i am quite partial to a spot of French tv now and again and in the UK i have 5 free channels using a 80cm dish and an old analogue box.

Not to watch movies that have been dubbed extremely badly..!!!! but i find actuality programs on M6 worth watching (Enquete Exclusive, Capital etc..). I like the 19h30 FR3 news and the 20h00 News spot that follows.

Thank you all for your help. For a reasonable cost I appear to be able to catch almost everything….

Last question, are those programs free????

TNTSat and Fransat provide the 18 TNT channels free,   but require you to buy a specific receiver (from a range in each case) and to use a decryption card,   which is provided with the receiver.    This is not in order to garner a subscription,   simply to confine the use of the services to within the Hexagone.

The cards are for an initial four years for TNTSat and "for life" for Fransat.    For TNTsat it is likely that the cards will be extended,  and/or replaced eventually for a nominal fee.   It's likely the same will happen for Fransat,   although the "for life" bit suggests that there might not be a fee (although I'd be amazed if there wasn't a charge of say €20).

Both receivers can very conveniently be carted back to Britain;   in your case with the five analogues you'd be better off with Fransat as this uses the same satellite as what you're using now  (ie Atlantic Bird 3).   TNTsat uses Astra 1 (which isn't a problem but your dish in Britain isn't pointing at it).     Fransat is the more flexible service in that the TNTsat receivers are paritally hobbled and many of them won't work on any other satellite other than Astra 1.   An illegal restriction imposed by Canalsat at the start,  now partially but not reliably rolled back.

"They" will  tell you that it's "illegal" to take the cards and receivers out of the country;   just ignore them!    (I do)

LNB's are called tetes in France (as you doubtless know) and need to be "universelle".   

Both services provide an HD version for a higher price,    but maybe your mother could be persuaded......?

[quote user="ericd"]Yes i am quite partial to a spot of French tv now and again and in the UK i have 5 free channels using a 80cm dish and an old analogue box. Not to watch movies that have been dubbed extremely badly..!!!! but i find actuality programs on M6 worth watching (Enquete Exclusive, Capital etc..). I like the 19h30 FR3 news and the 20h00 News spot that follows. Thank you all for your help. For a reasonable cost I appear to be able to catch almost everything…. Last question, are those programs free????[/quote]

I live in france and get the same 5 analogue channels by satellite; including TF1. It is almost certain that you are using the AB3 satellite "Atlantic  Bird" this will stop analogue towards end of 2011.

However FranSat offer a receiver/decoder specifically for TNT digital reception from AB3; their selling point is that no further changes need to be done to the dish or LNB but just the FranSat Box in place of the existing Analogue Decoder. The Box has a card to activate the Box and is renewable at no cost after a period of 4 years. I am pretty sure that the Box can only be purchased in france but they are available at all the HyperMarkets like Leclerc. TNT Sat boxes for HD reception are also available and an Aston Simba Version compatible with 3D transmissions.

Link to FranSat page with explanation of AB3 relation.

http://www.fransat.fr/recevoir-fransat-television-numerique.htm

[quote user="pachapapa"]

their selling point is that no further changes need to be done to the dish or LNB but just the FranSat Box in place of the existing Analogue Decoder.

[/quote]

Just to nitpick a tiny bit  (and Fransat don't mention this I don't think).

Some (mainly older) AB3  (originally Telecom 2B) installations for analogue were provided with "Telecom" tetes,    which are not suitable for Fransat.

However,   it's a very easy matter to replace the Telecom LNB with a universal one,   providing of course the dish is accessible.

It's a minor point,   but I've had to replace one so far on the four I've installed in the village.

[quote user="Martin963"][quote user="pachapapa"]

their selling point is that no further changes need to be done to the dish or LNB but just the FranSat Box in place of the existing Analogue Decoder.

[/quote]

Just to nitpick a tiny bit  (and Fransat don't mention this I don't think).

Some (mainly older) AB3  (originally Telecom 2B) installations for analogue were provided with "Telecom" tetes,    which are not suitable for Fransat.

However,   it's a very easy matter to replace the Telecom LNB with a universal one,   providing of course the dish is accessible.

It's a minor point,   but I've had to replace one so far on the four I've installed in the village.
[/quote]

They note a Universal LNB which is itself a misnomer with nothing to do with analog and digital; it harks back to the days when LNBs came with two ranges of frequency and the universality included the two frequency ranges. Although in the 80s it was more a case of a separate LNA particularly with "C" band reception.

Si vous êtes déjà équipé d'une parabole avec tête universelle pour recevoir les 6 chaînes nationales analogiques TF1, France 2, France 3, Canal+ en clair, France 5/Arte et M6

Archived