Complete France Forum

Triple Play subscriptions to rise

TVA going from 5.5% to 19.6%. Ignore the bit about how much of the invoice will attract the increased rate. Currently they are looking at ways to tax the air you breathe, so assume it will be all of it (As of a couple of months France has had the highest budget deficit in the OECD, anyone notice the UK media stopped talking about that?[:D])

http://www.leparisien.fr/economie/internet-les-offres-triple-play-pourraient-etre-davantage-taxees-24-08-2010-1041573.php

I read that article and the one it links to. In the worse case that 70% of the bill was taxed at 19.5% (as opposed to the current 50%) it would mean a rise of around 1.52 Euros per month which, assuming you do use the TV bit as well (we do because we can't get a terrestrial signal), is not exactly a lot of money. I had a look on the UK site Broadbandchoices and the nearest I can get to my current French package is £48 plus £10 line rental per month and excludes 1 hour of mobile calls and International calls so French ISP's are offering very good deals even with the rise in TVA should of course it get implemented which is not at present a certainty.

[quote user="Quillan"]I read that article and the one it links to. In the worse case that 70% of the bill was taxed at 19.5% (as opposed to the current 50%) it would mean a rise of around 1.52 Euros per month which, assuming you do use the TV bit as well (we do because we can't get a terrestrial signal), is not exactly a lot of money. I had a look on the UK site Broadbandchoices and the nearest I can get to my current French package is £48 plus £10 line rental per month and excludes 1 hour of mobile calls and International calls so French ISP's are offering very good deals even with the rise in TVA should of course it get implemented which is not at present a certainty.[/quote]

I am a bit dense but if the tax rate is reduced from 50% to 19.5% why is there an increase of € 1.52 per calendar month.[8-)]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Quillan"]I read that article and the one it links to. In the worse case that 70% of the bill was taxed at 19.5% (as opposed to the current 50%) it would mean a rise of around 1.52 Euros per month which, assuming you do use the TV bit as well (we do because we can't get a terrestrial signal), is not exactly a lot of money. I had a look on the UK site Broadbandchoices and the nearest I can get to my current French package is £48 plus £10 line rental per month and excludes 1 hour of mobile calls and International calls so French ISP's are offering very good deals even with the rise in TVA should of course it get implemented which is not at present a certainty.[/quote]

I am a bit dense but if the tax rate is reduced from 50% to 19.5% why is there an increase of € 1.52 per calendar month.[8-)]

[/quote]

I had assumed you would have read the article. At the moment 50% of the bill is taxed at 5.5%, the other half at 19.5%. They are saying that 70% (worse case, it could be only 60%)of the bill should be taxed at 19.5% which equates to a cost rise in my particular case of around 1.52 Euros per month.

[quote user="velcorin"]

I assumed everyone used Skype, why the need for free international calls? Do some people still use a standard phone? My Dad pays GBP6.99 a month to BT, and uses Skype.

[/quote]

Could you tell me how to phone a person or organisation that doesn't use Skype and what it costs? I frequently need to ring UK banks, government offices, elderly relatives who think computers are black magic ...

We do have a couple of UK bank accounts, never needed to contact them though, all our income is here. Only my mum and dad to contact in the UK, they have Skype. French family all have Skype, mainly on mobiles. I've never needed to contact HMRC, central HR have done that. Outside of work, I can't think of anyone in the UK I'd call. I hadn't appreciated some people still needed a landline to make calls, I stand corrected.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

You enter the phone number (and international code if applicable) in the Skype 'Call Phones' box.

Skype calls to UK landlines cost 1,7 cents a minute.

Full UK call tariff HERE

[/quote]

Looking at the list some of the numbers are actually quite expensive although I have not made any direct comparisons and of course thats just to the UK. We find we use the phone more in France than we did in the UK because there were no deals on cheap international calls in the UK, like getting them free, as we both have family all over the world. I can understand that if you have no need to phone anyone other than family and they have Skype it could be a good deal but life is never that simple.

Thanks (as usual) to SD for the link. As Quillan says, some of them are quite a bit dearer. As far as I can tell calls via Livebox to things like 0845 numbers are still covered by my illimité. One of my sons is off the New Zealand for a couple of years and although he's planning to get Skype set up eventually it's handier for us to be able to use our existing cordless phones anywhere in the house rather than having to go to the computer.

About 4 years ago in the UK I tried Skype but my parents in law complained that it was harder to hear than our land line. We settled on having them ring us back because their French phone had free calls to the UK. I don't know if the audio quality has improved of late. At the time we were using a dedicated USB webphone handset, so it shouldn't have been a hardware issue.

Some have said that the VOIP that Orange use is not as good as an ordinary phone but to be honest I, and a friend of mine who has the same, find it much clearer than before. I would also imagine that the same applies for Skype as it does with Orange on Sans Engagement in that if you loose power then you have no phone plus you have the extra bit of kit i.e. the computer to contend with.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

I had assumed you would have read the article. At the moment 50% of the bill is taxed at 5.5%, the other half at 19.5%. They are saying that 70% (worse case, it could be only 60%)of the bill should be taxed at 19.5% which equates to a cost rise in my particular case of around 1.52 Euros per month.

[/quote]

Fortunately the PCInpact email in french, which I will not paste due to fears of upsetting Salty Sam so early in the morning, explaining clearly the contemplated changes in TVA , sorry I meant to put VAT.  As a small point I would respectfully note that in matters of finance and taxation I prefer the posts of velcorin, who at least is aware that the rate is 19.6% and not 19.5%.

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Quillan"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Fortunately the PCInpact email in french, which I will not paste due to fears of upsetting Salty Sam so early in the morning, explaining clearly the contemplated changes in TVA , sorry I meant to put VAT.  As a small point I would respectfully note that in matters of finance and taxation I prefer the posts of velcorin, who at least is aware that the rate is 19.6% and not 19.5%.

[/quote]

Then don't ask me a question on Tax especially when you know the answer already (re PCimpact email you received in French)? It must be so difficult to soar with the eagles when you have to work with us turkeys. [;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Quillan"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then don't ask me a question on Tax especially when you know the answer already (re PCimpact email you recieved in French)? It must be so difficult to soar with the eagles when you have to work with us turkeys. [;-)]

[/quote]

"i" before "e" except after "c".[6]

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Quillan"][quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Quillan"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then don't ask me a question on Tax especially when you know the answer already (re PCimpact email you received in French)? It must be so difficult to soar with the eagles when you have to work with us turkeys. [;-)]

[/quote]

"i" before "e" except after "c".[6]

[/quote]

You forgot the 'm'. [:P]

Archived