Complete France Forum

This has been a common grouse for years but I doubt there's much you can do and I'm pretty certain you'll get no joy from Orange.

The original problem was that many non-French ISPs considered that France, and Wanadoo in particular (as Orange used to be) was a major source of Spam, and consequently the Wanadoo IP addresses were blacked (although not all ISPs take note of the blacklist). At the time Wanadoo were reluctant, to say the least, to take any action.

When I first moved here in 2004 it was a major irritation as many of our friends in UK on NTL (which included Tesco users) were unable to receive our emails. I got round it by subscribing to a proxy relay service. www.authsmtp.com The cost is £14 a year.

I was under the impression from threads I'd read on here that the problem had largely been overcome but I continue to use the relay for peace of mind.

Sid 

Quite agree with Sid, although it's not a problem I've come across recently.

I already had a free Yahoo account and I used that to send e-mails to the occasional Hotmail account if they'd been returned as undeliverable.

Quite easy to set up.

Regards - Tim

Mr C de L proposes a very workable solution! It's not for me, as I prefer to have all my email on my PC and not on a remote server (and there is a lot of it, some of it business stuff which I need to keep). Nonetheless, using one of the well known webmail services is a definite possibility.

A further thought, because the OP didn't actually say how he was sending his mail, but I wonder, if it's Outlook for example, whether the email account has been configured correctly? I use incoming server 110 and outgoing server 2525, which are not the default settings. I seem to remember this being part of one of the later solutions.

Is he using Livebox or another modem? Also, we don't know how he knows that the messages are blocked, unless there is some sort of error reply? In my case I didn't find out about it for ages; my messages just disappeared but were never received! I thought people were just ignoring me! [8-)] ... which they do now! [:)]

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

Mr C de L proposes a very workable solution! It's not for me, as I prefer to have all my email on my PC and not on a remote server (and there is a lot of it, some of it business stuff which I need to keep). Nonetheless, using one of the well known webmail services is a definite possibility.

A further thought, because the OP didn't actually say how he was sending his mail, but I wonder, if it's Outlook for example, whether the email account has been configured correctly? I use incoming server 110 and outgoing server 2525, which are not the default settings. I seem to remember this being part of one of the later solutions.

Is he using Livebox or another modem? Also, we don't know how he knows that the messages are blocked, unless there is some sort of error reply? In my case I didn't find out about it for ages; my messages just disappeared but were never received! I thought people were just ignoring me! [8-)] ... which they do now! [:)]

Sid

[/quote]

Incoming server (POP3) in Outlook is 110 and the outgoing (SMTP) is 25 as standard/default. Some mail servers need an outgoing (SMTP) of 26 which is not standard, these tend to be hosting services. There is a reason for this which I can't quite remember but it does result in your emails being blocked. I found this little snippet which you might find interesting.

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/prod/smtp.html

host mx3.hotmail.com[65.54.188.94] said: 550

SC-001 Unfortunately, messages from 80.12.242.46 weren't sent. Please

contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on

our block list. You can also refer your provider to

this is the message i keep getting back,if it carries on i will just open a yahoo  account or one like it and use that.You would think if everybody complained they would sort it out.

As always, I recommend getting your own internet domain name and a mail hosting service. It costs something like €5-10 per year and means that no matter what you do about changing ISPs you'll always have the same email address. Even if the hosting company goes bust you can just transfer to a different one.

Not only that, but both the services I've used allow you to have a 'catch-all' email account, which means that email sent to any conceivable user-name on your domain ends up in that one. Because I have a 'non-French' name my wife & I have domain names of the form 'asmith.fr' and 'fsmith.fr' (not the real ones -- we aren't called Smith!) which is easy enough for anyone to remember.

The mail comes to my Outlook on my PC but there is also Web mail, so I can keep in touch when I'm away.

The two services I've used are Fasthosts (UK) and 1&1 (France) but there are plenty of others.

[quote user="sid"]Mr C de L proposes a very workable solution! It's not for me, as I prefer to have all my email on my PC and not on a remote server (and there is a lot of it, some of it business stuff which I need to keep). Nonetheless, using one of the well known webmail services is a definite possibility.[/quote]

In fact you CAN use gmail and keep a copy - or the ONLY copy - of the email on your own PC if you wish: however I use it as a back-up - since 7GB+ of free online mail storage will hold a heck of a lot of messages, and if there is a problem with your PC, it's all there for you. I also purchased a domain, so have a non-gmail address that I use.

Regards

Pickles

It was, and still is, a common problem with all French internet providers. Even LaPoste webmail. In fact if a French IP address was detected even messages sent via Yahoo or Hotmail could get blocked.

E-mail sent from France seems particularly unacceptable to a lot of e-mail providers in the USA, and it was a big problem when I was communicating frequently for work between France and USA.

Orange/Wanadoo had a fix back then which involved changing to a different server (different port number) which seemed to solve the problem. The details are probably on this site in the archives somewhere if anybody has time to search.

Thanks Q - I did see your earlier reply and clicked on your link, but thought that was something different that I have done, i.e. changing the port number so that I can send e-mails from other addresses beside Orange when I am in France (Orange only normally lets you send mail from an Orange address).

But I am sure you are right, and it's just a different aspect of the same thing.

Archived