Complete France Forum

Set top box for British/French combined TV

[quote user="Jazzer"]I see from Big Dish newsletter, that from the end of this month they will be able to supply/install a satellite system to receive English and French FTA channels, with 1 dish, 1 cable and 1 set top box. several hundred channels from Astra 1 72.[/quote]

Jazzer, any details of the channels available?

There are not so many FTA French channels  so it sounds interesting but I have the feeling it won't be revolutionary

Danny

PS I have tried to get the newsletter from their site but have not had an email reply.

[quote user="Jazzer"]Sorry for typo 1&2 not 1 72. Channels mentioned are ITV CH 4 etc BBC chan 5. TF1 France 2 regional 3 Arte & M6[/quote]

The french channels you quote are only FTA on analogue and that will end in november 2011.  The french digital channels are FTV and require decoding before viewing.

Be easier if you put up a copy of the monthly email which appears to have limited distribution so more informed comment can be made.

I presume that some one has fabricated a few "monobloc" 9° twin LNB fittings or modified the monobloc for Astra 1 HotBird widely available in the sheds.

Putting up is beyond me! Anyway word for word, the article says:

French & UK TV- one box, one dish.

From the end of the month,we will be able to supply & Install a satellite system consisting of one dish, one cable and one satellite set top box. The difference is that this receiver captures the French TNTSAT system and also the British free to air TV & and radio channels.

So for the first time with just the one fixed dish you will be able to receive all the BBC channels, Channel 4 & it's digital stablemates, Channel 5 plus TF1, your local France 3, Arte, & M6. In fact, there will be several hundred in total- all the free to air channels from Astra 1 and Astra 2 combined. Hopefully we will be able to demonstrate this at the Trade Fair on 25 September (at Pillac)

Again, apologise for my typo's.

That makes sense the TNTSAT would be FTV on Astra1 Free to View and the BBC etc FTA Free to Air on Astra 2.

Might be of interest to some Brits out in the sticks with no chance of getting local TNT Television Numerique Terrestriale.

Keep us informed on availability, price, specs, etc.

Thanks PPP.

"The only problem is that there is no guarantee the TNTSAT card will remain functional."

Jako, I think that is the point. There are now a few specific (HD included) TNTSAT decoders which are open to multisatellite use and handle diseqc.

This means one decoder to receive all the French TNT channels and any other FTA channels on Astra 1 and Astra 2 assuming the one dish and LNBs are set up properly. No problems with access to the encrypted French channels.

But it is not particularly exciting - it has been possible for quite a while.

Danny

Hi, I think this is the article.

French & UK TV ... one box, one dish.

From the end of the month, we will be able to supply and install a satellite system consisting of one dish, one cable and one satellite set top box. The difference is that this receiver captures the French TNTSAT system and also all the British free to air television and radio channels.

So, for the first time with just the one fixed dish and cable, you will be able to receive all the BBC channels, all the ITV channels, Channel 4 and its digital stablemates, Channel 5 plus TF1, France2, your local France3, Arte and M6. In fact, there will be several hundred in total ... all the free to air channels from Astra1 and Astra2 combined.

Hopefully, we'll be able to demonstrate this at the Trade Fair on the 25th September.

There will also be some disadvantages compared to two dishes and/or decoders though.

If it is not a Sky or Freesat decoder then there will be no 7 day UK TV guide which a lot of people find very useful. There may be only limited 'now and next' infomation if at all.

One dish and one cable and one decoder limits the possibilities of recording one channel and watching/recording another.

Any UK channels will need to be updated manually in the case of any change of frequencies.

It is not really "for the first time" either. Certain newer TNTSAT decoders - like the Humax TN5000HD have been open to other satellites for quite some time as have multi lnb set ups on one dish like this one for three satellites for example.

As have motorised dishes...

Danny[blink]

Update from BigDish.

"As long as our delivery arrives this week(it's late at the moment) then we shall be able to demonstrate our new system at the show this Saturday. It consists of the Sedea S1000 which is a brand new TNTSAT receiver and has the capability of receiving fta channels from other satellites. We can modify standard Sedea dishes, such as that they will pick up signals from both Astra 1 for French TNTSAT and Astra 2 for the main UK channels. The receiver automatically switches between the 2 Satellites by using a DISEqC switch which is mounted behind the dish- so that's 1 dish, 1 cable and 1 satellite receiver for all the main French and UK channels. We now have a factsheet with some photos on our website."

Thanks Jazzer,

I can't find it yet on their website. If you do, let us know. It would be interesting to know what price they propose for this package.

The Sedea S1000 is - according to this site -  an SD TNTSAT decoder so that means no HD channels - French or UK. It is not yet listed on the TNTSAT site or on the site of SEDEA so there is not  much info on it.

Danny

I wish I was able to transfer the details direct to this post but here goes.

Box €125 includes programming and testing for the standard box(HD is available) and is Canal ready(for cards). 2 Year Guarantee. the DISRqC switch is €20. To install the dish with 2 LNB's, DISEqC and1 cable, full LOCAL installation totals €375.

Archived