Complete France Forum

Short-term SKY sub?

Is there any way of getting a very short-term Sky card/sub or whatever?

Normally we find the free channels are more than sufficient for us, but at the beginning of October there will be about 4-5 days of The Ryder Cup (golf for the uninitiated) and BBC will apparently not be doing anything more than a few highlights.  No live coverage at all[:(]   And it's my Event of the Year (well, every two years, which is even worse!)[blink]

So we want to be able to see Sky for just those few days.  I can ring one of the outfits that advertise in Franglais papers etc, but presumably it will be in their interest to sell me something quite extensive/expensive.  So I wanted to be a bit knowledgeable in advance......

Any ideas?

Chrissie (81)

It is possible for free but you need a couple of things.

First you need somebody in the UK who already has a subscription to view these channels.

Next you need to look for the thread about 'proxy servers' and using the BBC Iplayer.

Finally you need to install the Sky Player (Google Sky Player for more).

If your 'friend' already has Sky Sports 1 and 2 then its free for them to register till the end of the year.

Install the software, set up the proxy link, use their login and off you go. I don't have a clue how legal this is by the way.

There are no such deals that I am aware of.

The suppliers in France will almost certainly try to sell you a sub, and as it's going to be on Sky sports that will be an expensive sub too.

Don't know what the answer is to this one I'm afraid [:(]

Swap boxes with someone for the event perhaps ?

Thanks for that, Quillan.  I assume this would mean we could watch the golf on our PC? 

Yes, I think it probably is illegal, as apart from the usual "overseas" bit, it is also piggybacking off someone else's payment.  (Sorry, that sounds priggish, not meant to be.)  I don't mind paying for seeing the golf, but don't want to spend out for a year's sub for just a few days.  (And I would really like to sit back in front of our huge TV screen....)

Chrissie (81)

• 1 month later...

Archived