Complete France Forum

Sometimes recently the computer/internet seems to be running slowly. When I try to move downloaded things into folders, rename them or delete them I get a message saying it can't be done because another programme is using the file, but there aren't any other programmes running. If I keep trying, eventually the computer does what I've asked.

Could there be a 'Trojan' on the computer, or any other ideas what's wrong?

We've got AVG Free and Zonealarms firewall and the computer is on Windows XP.

Possible AVG Free is more for viruses and has limited use with malware.

So do the following: Click Start; click execute; in window that opens Enter mrt.exe and click on OK; in the window that opens the Quick Scan Radio Button will be already selected so just Click on Continue. If the scan finds anything then follow the prompts.

If the scan finds nothing then repeat the process after selecting the Complete Scan Option, the second one down.

Cheers PPP.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="pachapapa"]Click Start; click execute;[/quote]You mean Start - Run of course [;-)]
[/quote]

Not at all, MRT.EXE is an executive file and under no circumstances should it be "run" over.

Run over should be restricted exclusively to files with a *.run file extension.[:P]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="pachapapa"]Click Start; click execute;[/quote]You mean Start - Run of course [;-)]

[/quote]

If you have Vista (and probably for Windows 7 as well) then you have to click "start" (well, the button with the Windows logo on it in the bottom left of the screen) then "all programs" then "accessories" then "run", and THEN fill in the program name. Progress, eh? I suspect Ernie has XP: dunno what PPP  has.

Regards

Pickles

In Vista and Seven, you can choose to have the run command box on the start menu if you would like. It is very simple

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-happened-to-the-Run-command

but you can also just use the search box in virtually the same way by typing the command [;-)]

even more choices here

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_run_command.htm

Danny

[quote user="Pickles"]If you have Vista (and probably for Windows 7 as well) then you have to click "start" (well, the button with the Windows logo on it in the bottom left of the screen) then "all programs" then "accessories" then "run", and THEN fill in the program name. Progress, eh? I suspect Ernie has XP: dunno what PPP  has.[/quote]I gave the XP command as that is what the OP said he had. I have both XP and Win7

There has been progress, you just haven't discovered it yet.

In Vista and Win7 for most programmes there is no need to go any further than the 'Search programs and files' box which appears immediately above the Start/Windows logo button. Just type in what you want and hey presto [;-)]

Because of this quick route I haven't worked out yet why they left the Run command in the start menu as it seems totally superfluous, answers on a postcard to...................

EDIT:

Hadn't refreshed the page and seen Danny's similar instructions.

From a practical point of view I place shortcuts on both Desktops to the MRT.exe file which is located in the System 32 sub-folder.

The MRT.exe program is updated every month with the Update Tuesday Security Updates and the Quick Scan option is run during the install, if anything is found the MS server is informed; all without the client being aware of the operation.

Archived