Complete France Forum

Hard Drive Swop

Whilst staying at friends, we have been offered the use of a computer minus hard drive.

Can we use our hard drive without any problems or reprogramming?

We have Vista, they have Windows 7.

For a return favour to them, would it work the other way round? I.e. Win 7 h/d in a Vista pc.

I understand that both drives are SATA.

No

Unless the two PCs have virtually identical hardware specifications(unlikely), when you put your Vista disk in your freinds PC, it will most probably just display an unintelligible error message on a blue screen and not go any further.

And depending upon on the type of licence you have for Vista, it may not be strictly legal, although I doubt the Gendarmes will come around to arrest you :-))

The same answer goes for putting the Win 7 disk in your PC running Vista.

Hope that helps.

Windows XP, Vista and 7 all need to be activated to enable them to be used. All three products use a key which is then 'connected' to the hardware like the CPU (which has an internal serial number as do many other chips such as video, HDD and especially network cards). If you make too many changes to a computer (as mentioned earlier) then it will not function. You can only install one copy of software on one PC. There are only two ways to get round this legally, you can deregister your copy or use a corporate copy (the latter only if you have a corporate site licence). So no this cannot be done legally. There is hack software that may allow you to do this but it is illegal and I would not trust it. Of course the worst case is if it is an OEM version designed for a particular machine make (Dell for example) in which case you can't install it on anything else other than a Dell. Again there is software that produces a 'patch' that can get round this but it is illegal to do so under the licence for that OEM software.

To quote from MS "You can reinstall Windows on the same computer as many times as you want because activation pairs the Windows product key with information about your computer hardware. If you make a significant hardware change, you might have to activate Windows again."

Further information can be found HERE

What on earth have you got on your hard drive that is so sensitive that you would not trust a friend to use it? The swapping of hard drives is a particularly silly idea and is doomed to failure. I would forget it and buy yourself a laptop.

[quote user="Jay"]What on earth have you got on your hard drive that is so sensitive that you would not trust a friend to use it? The swapping of hard drives is a particularly silly idea and is doomed to failure. I would forget it and buy yourself a laptop.[/quote]

What on earth have you got on your hard drive that is so sensitive that you would not trust a friend to use it?

Personal. Would you let your friends have unlimited access to your hard drive?

I would forget it and buy yourself a laptop.

I wish I could but some of us pensioners are struggling as it is without splashing out on luxuries.

My thanks to others who gave sensible advice and suggestions.

Ouch! But I resisted the sarcastic reply myself. I didn't ask where you were travelling to and from as poor pensioners, or how you bought your computer in the first place! A laptop would provide for your computing needs both at home and away.

Some people don't want to be helped, but please don't tell me about managing on a small pension.

Sid

Archived