Complete France Forum

neighbour's fosse septique

Sharon

Hi, I'm a newcomer to the LF forum and thought I'd kick off with a nice complicated query.

We have just bought a house with a large area of terraced land in the Cevennes mountains (Lozere) - and have just discovered that our neighbour plans to instal a septic tank on a small area of his property which juts into our land across the road from his house (a strange land division arrangement but there you go.) Below the four terraces he owns (approx 300m sq in area) - sandwiched on both sides by our land - our property continues down the valley for a couple of hundred metres.

We are concerned about the implications of his septic tank a) being so close to our house and within a few feet of our garden re any smells, and b) being upland of a large section of our property therefore having to drain down through our land.

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing or any advice? We are due to have our first friendly meeting with these neighbours in a few days' time and would like to raise the issue then. We have been told by the former owners of our house that we need to tread cautiously with this particular family. We have also been told that these neighbours would require our permission to take any off-run through our land by underground pipes, but we're not sure whether the same would apply if they were just to let it drain into the soil. We have also been advised - informally by our notaire when we bought the house - that any structure built on their land would have to be out of sight because of its proximity to ours (we have a summer house within 50m of their land).

Aaarghh! Help please!

sharon

I would go to your local Mairie and ask about all planning permission rules and regs concerning fosse septiques, the law should be quite strict these days. And he can't let it just run off either.

Incidentally a fosse septique that has been properly built and is used properly should not create any problems at all.

We live on a steep hill in Cornwall and all the properties here are on individual septic tanks. Our septic tank sits in the corner of our property, immediately above our neighbours garden (and house) and has never caused any problems. If you treat your septic tank correctly (we never use bleach) it should not present any problems. Our tank has not been emptied for years, does not smell and does not upset the neighbours - I am not quite sure what all the fuss is about!!

John and Angie Moore

>Hi, I'm a newcomer to the
>LF forum

Welcome!

The main guidelines for the positioning of a fosse septique recommended by the CSTB are as follows;

The actual tank should be within 10M of the house if possible, and remain accessible to vehicles for emptying. The access traps should be set at ground level .(Often they are completely buried by the French)
The epandage or drainage pipework has to be a minimum of 35m away from any well or drinking water supply, and at least 5m away from the house it serves.
This pipework should also be at least 3m away from main trees and neighbours boundary fences, or properties.
Having said all this, each commune has control over installation and will have their own regulations regarding the installation of a fosse. The regulations are tightening in some areas. In my area, the DDE used to have full control over installation, but now it is overlooked by the Conseille General of the department. A soil test is usually asked for now also.

Good luck with the neighbours! Remember to hold your ground.

Paul

Archived