Complete France Forum

Corel language problem

I use a computer bought in France, Vista in French and a variety of variety of programmes both French and English. And I have a French ISP (orange.fr).

I recently bought an Aiptek graphics tablet which is supplied with CorelDraw Essentials 4. As I wanted English language software for an unfamiliar piece of kit I imported it into France from Amazon UK expecting it to be in English. The CorelDraw CD-ROM supplied is for 7 languages.

However the CD-Rom will only install the French version of the programme and of the manual. There are no options to select the language during the process as the CD-Rom is just a key to access the download from the internet. There is no helpline for this bundled version of CorelDraw - you get no bread with one meat ball seems the principle.

I could cope with the programme in French if I had the manual in English. I have been unable to find an English download on the internet.

Has anyone else had this problem? And have they been able to solve it? I suppose one solution would be to buy one of the guides to using CorelDraw.

Ian

Would a proxy server or something similar help - ie make the programme think you are in the UK so give you an English language download?  If so, then perhaps something like the ExpatShield, recommended on another thread about accessing the BBC's I-Player from here would help?  I have no idea and am not very computer savvy so it's just a thought and might well be completely daft!

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I guess as Corel is Canadian, it tries to default to French wherever possible :)[/quote][:D] Depends which part of Canada!

It just seemed to me that if the software was bought from the UK and advertised as available in 7 languages, including English, then maybe the reason it insisted on downloading in French had to do with the ISP?  But as I say, not my thing really and probably a silly idea.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding a tutorial. There is no custom install option that I can see and I agree it is being too clever for its own good.

The suggestion to use Expat Shield is helpful and that works well with the BBC i-player and with the BBC Archive. I am not sure how it would work in this situation but will investigate it.

Ian

I have a feeling that the software decides what language to install following your either your Operating system language or your regional/language settings.

I assume you still have the installation files??? EDIT You said you have the CD, I forgot...

If so, you could try uninstalling and then changing your regional settings to English/UK and delete all other regional settings that may be there and then reinstalling the Corel programs

This will change your keyboard settings too but these can all be changed back after.

It may be worth a go. The UK proxy service tell the download service where you are but the actual download and the installation files will probably be multi language, so I don't imagine it will help to have the Expat shield active.

Danny

Thanks for the suggestion. My worry is that the programme may have a limit on the number of times it can be installed. I have already had two attempts. I might do better keeping the French version. I will try and find out from Corel whether this is the case.

Ian

My worry is because the spec for the cheap student version of Corel Draw states -

'Install and Use a copy of this Product on up to 3 computers in your household - For non-commercial use only.'

The version I have is a bundled version, not quite the same, but a cheapo product nevertheless.

Ian

[quote user="IS 56"]Thanks pachapapa but the programme I have is Corel Draw not Word Perfect. When I go to Outils and change language the only option I have is to change from French to French! Ian[/quote]

Maybe the other language files are not available to the Programme i.e. not in the sub-dossier for languages in the main programme dossier.

Why not check if there are other language files on the CD-Rom, you may have to disable autorun to explore the index of the CD-Rom; also check in the Programme Suite the location of the french language file; chances are if you import the english language file into the language sub-dossier that it will then give you the choice of selecting a different default language.

Basically if english is on the CD-Rom and not on the HD then it wont work whatever you do.

I frequently get french language files for free programmes off the net to patch software which is only available in english.

Archived