Complete France Forum

Digital TV via Orange ADSL connection

Hi, and apologies in advance for complete tech-ignorance!

Live in block of flats. Have FT-Orange landline + ADSL connection (via Netgear modem), which works well. Now need to convert TV to digital, so have ordered Décodeur TV UHD 86 + all the requisite cables etc. Will the décodeur operate if plugged into the Netgear modem, or must I acquire an Orange Livebox?

Please advise.

Cheers in advance,

Min

[quote user="Min"]Hi, and apologies in advance for complete tech-ignorance!
Live in block of flats. Have FT-Orange landline + ADSL connection (via Netgear modem), which works well. Now need to convert TV to digital, so have ordered Décodeur TV UHD 86 + all the requisite cables etc. Will the décodeur operate if plugged into the Netgear modem, or must I acquire an Orange Livebox?
Please advise.
Cheers in advance,

Min

[/quote]

You need to be aware that to get TV from Orange via ADSL you will need a high speed Internet connection. You can check your speed quite quickly by using the following link ( http://www.degrouptest.com/ )and entering your phone number and any other questions asked. If your ADSL speed is not high enough you will require a dish and you may need permission if you live in a flat/apartment. I am not sure about this bit but I have a feeling that you also need to connect a normal TV aerial to the box because HD actually comes via TNT from your local transmitter but I may be wrong.

One point, have you not looked at the current offers on Orange, 34.90 Euros plus 3 Euros rental on a LiveBox for free phone calls (nationally and internationally), Internet and TV all for just under 38 Euros per month and nothing else to pay, not even for the FT line rental as it is inclusive. I have placed a link below for you to look at.

http://abonnez-vous.orange.fr/residentiel/forfaits/net-tripleplay-plus.aspx

As to if the box will work with your current router I do not know although it does connect via a standard network connector so you can try it first and if it does not then you will have to get a LiveBox at which time it may work out cheaper to take one of the new contracts. You can do this via your client space on your Orange Internet account page.

Pachapapa: thank you for the précision. Yup, that's what I'd gathered from the small print. Now have to order a Livebox. Thank you again. It's a great help to have such guidance, and I really appreciate it.

[quote user="Min"]Thanks, Quillan - great to have confirmation that I've been doing the right thing! In fact, will need to acquire Livebox to benefit from the offer you recommend. Thank you again.
[/quote]

If, for instance, you use the offer that I gave a link to they will know that you don't have a LiveBox so you will have to agree to the rental (you used to be able to buy them as well but I note it no longer appears to be an option). They will already know, as you have ordered it, that you have a decoder (don't forget you have to pay something like 45 Euros deposit on the card else it won't work, the card is unique to you and not your decoder). If you don't have the speed you will require one type of decoder but if you do have the speed you will require a different one, Orange should know and send the appropriate decoder. Both will need to have and aerial connected to get TNT for local stations and HD but this is an option. We can't do this because there is a mountain blocking us from the trnsmitter and we will have to wait till next year for another to come on line. You can see how this bit is done with the following link.

http://assistance.orange.fr/recevoir-la-tnt-avec-le-decodeur-tv-d-orange-1501.php

I don't know how good your French is but if you have a problem try downloading the Google Toolbar for your browser which will translate 'on the fly' the Orange website.

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/toolbar/ie/index.html#tbbrand=

This is for Internet Explorer but if you use another browser it should detect it and take you to the appropriate version.

Hello again, Quillan - yup, the speed's fine for the equipment supplied. And I've called FT and explained the problem, with the result that they're sending a Livebox - rental is already accounted for in the new package.

Thanks again for your helpful advice and comments.

Archived