Complete France Forum

Sony TV factory reset and language change

Having decided to get rid of our very old Panasonic TV which must be at least 16 years old and still going we bought a Sony KDL 32EX402 from Darty on-line. The guy that installed it set it up for French language and all was well. However I have noted that the aspect ratio of French HD broadcasts appears correct whereas UK HD programmes from the Humax Sat' box appear slightly squashed. The ability to manipulate HD prog pictures is somewhat limited and nothing I can do seems to really correct the image. I am wondering that if I could change the language/country for the various on-screen texts the aspect ratio problem might also be corrected. To this end I have searched for a way to run the initial setup again but whilst this is referred to in various on-line manuals as being possible none make it clear exactly how one does this. So can anyone shed some light on how to do this please? Instructions on how to reset to factory settings for similar models seem not to work on this one..........................JR

The adjustment will be with the Box Menu not the TV, to some extent the adjustments available will depend on if the Box and TV are connected with Scart,YUV or HDMI.

Adjustment of Box is made with TV OFF, OK.

The Box by the sound of it is configured to either 4:3 or 4:3 letter box and should be in some widescreen 16:9 option; the Box manual will explain the different options.

When I got my first LCD HD TV I was puzzled as to why the Icon with the score was off-screen to the top left with a limited view of the pitch populated by obese krauts.[:-))]

http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/humax/crci5500.html

Not sure what Humax you have but typical manuals in link above. On page 25 there are instructions for typical A/V Set up.

As noted if you have an HDMI 1.2 or above the connection between the Box and TV will be intelligent and automatic; I get that with the Blu-Ray Player but not on the Nokia Digital Receiver which only has a Peritel connection.

Below info for a bog standard Humax Scart Box:

Select the aspect ratio of TV which is connected to
STB(4:3 or 16:9).
Select the format which the video is to be displayed on screen.
When your TV set is 4:3 and video source is 16:9,
STB will display in Letter-box or Centre mode as selected.
When your TV set is 16:9 and video source is 4:3,
STB will display in the Pillar-box or Full mode as selected.

Thanks folks and I am feeling a wee bit stupid now as the Humax Foxsat HDR/PVR Wide control was set to centre cut out and setting it to automatic has fixed the picture distortion. I will have a play now and see if I can change the language setting of the Sony, less important but I might as well have it in English. I must still find out how to restore factory settings. The link between the two is HDMI. Thanks to all for your help....................JR

PS Thanks for the Sony UK info but I note that they do not list this model.

Archived