Complete France Forum

Not sure this is the correct place for this but here goes,i have an i pod and when i try and download a cd the computer freezes up and nothing happens although the i pod page shows its trying to copy.Also when the above happens i cannot do anything else with the computer as it seems to freeze up.

Any one got a solution please.

Thanks,

John

Can you play the CD without trying to import it into iTunes?

For example... if you are doing this on a Windows based PC you will almost certainly have Windows Media Player available to you. Try opening that and then opening the CD.

It may be that your CD/DVD drive has a problem.

I wonder if the OP means to download a CD (purchased) from the internet rather than from a CD drive?

There has been a new version of iTunes recently, have you got that?

Can anyone else download this same CD?

If the PC just hangs-up it suggests a basic fault, either in the OS, the iTunes software or even hardware. Impossible to diagnose from here I'd think. If it's a new PC, have you done all the updates? Are you running on 64bit? There are still a lot of incompatibilites there. Too many variables really and not enough information supplied.

[quote user="sid"]Too many variables really and not enough information supplied.[/quote]Quite, unfortunately johny is drip feeding information with ambiguous descriptions however so far I too am leaning toward a generic CD/DVD drive issue.

Can you be clearer please, are you actually 'downloading' from the Internet via iTunes or ripping from your own CD/DVD drive ?

sorry if i am not making sense to you guys so i will try and explain it more clearly.The problems occurs only when i use i tunes and when i try and copy my own Cd's onto my ipod,i can play the CD on the computer no problem.When i put the cd i want to download onto my ipod, the itunes screen comes up with the list of tracks and then it asks do i want to import all the tracks and this is where it goes wrong as soon as i click to download the computer freezes up.I have tried leaving it for a while but the red  light on the front  of the computer that flashes as the computer is doing something stays on and nothing happens until i eject the cd. 

hope this makes it more clear and thanks for your help and patience.

john

Thanks that's clearer.

As you are able to play CD's that would suggest that the CD drive is Ok although not it's not 100% conclusive.

Ripping a CD is a far more resource intensive process than merely playing it so I'm wondering if you may have overheating or possibly memory problems.

If it's a desktop PC then pop the cover off and have a look at the fans, particularly the one on the processor. A laptop presents a bit more of a problem but you night still be able to squint inside the case where the air flow exits. If it looks gummed up a crude but effective method of clearing it is to blow hard into the side and then get a hoover to it.

Everest is a free programme for checking all sort of parameters on a PC including CPU temperature

http://dailyfreeware.net/2009/10/23/everest-free-edition-2-20/

Computers and software are beasts of the devil and they play with your emotions.  However I am a firm believer that if you try enough things you can normally get round to what you want.

Someone has already mentioned that you probably have windows media player installed.  There is a "Load from CD" option there.  If it works you can then copy into Itunes and it is probably an Itunes problem - if it doesnt then it is probably hardware related and you have at least narrowed it down. 

• 2 weeks later...
From what you're saying here you seem to have the iPod connected at the same time as you insert the CD to download to iTunes? If so, try disconnecting the iPod whilst you download the CD. Once it's downloaded to iTunes you can reconnect the iPod and update it. I think that your iPod and CD drive are probably in conflict if they're connected at the same time. Also update your iTunes to the latest version. I hope that this helps.

Archived