Cheap new computer choice

I have narrowed it down to

Acer eMachines EL1352-093

or an

Acer eMachines EL1352-016

which seem about the same to me. both 320go

or go up 50€ and opt for

Acer eMachines EL1352-004 which has 640Go

My computers don't seem to last long so I am loathed to spend a fortune.

We have an Acer lap top that is slow.  We have an Emachines that we gave up on, it was so slow we just got fed up with it.  If we need a new pc for work we get a used Dell GX series off Ebay, we have two GX260's, old but relyable and just as fast as the good speck ASUS I have at home.

My Acer netbook failed 3 times whilst under guarantee for various reasons and gave up the ghost completely after 18 months.  I would never have another ACER product (my Advent computers - PC World's own brand - ancient PC and laptop - both still work and are regularly used for specific tasks, after 6 and 8 years respectively), as I reckon that was pretty poor but I know others who use them without problem.

[quote user="Gardener"]I have narrowed it down to

Acer eMachines EL1352-093

or an

Acer eMachines EL1352-016

which seem about the same to me. both 320go

or go up 50€ and opt for

Acer eMachines EL1352-004 which has 640Go

My computers don't seem to last long so I am loathed to spend a fortune.[/quote]

Buy either - they won't last long anyway.

Acer / e-machines / gateway all the same thing

hi ok

i have an  el-1352-004  bought it in super u  it`s the compact version ...it`s not slow,  does everything I want even plays the odd game  , It now runs in english using a  small down load ... so save your money and get one ,,,,, doubt I will ever fill the hard drive...

Dave

[quote user="crossy67"]Why do they keep failing, is it surge problems with your supply, would a surge protector not help?

[/quote]

I really don't know ,I have got a surge protector. I like computers like my cars, start them up and go. Anymore than that and I am lost.

Pachapapa, that is the site I have been looking at. There is a possibility of an extended warranty that looks quite good.

An apple mac is out of my budget especially with my track record !

La garantie sérénité seems fair, directly related to price. The marginal cost of 3 years compared with price for 2 years and also the unit price of replacement of a defective element; more or less 3 years cover on a full replacement basis at cost of a power pak.

Oh my dawg! Decisions decisions!![:)]

Personally I would go for the spec with 640 Go, partly for the larger hard disk but mainly because it has 4 Go of RAM; as the memory for video is shared this will keep it up to speed.

I presume you mean this one.

http://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/achat-pc-ordinateur/choix-par-marque/acer/acer-emachines-el1352-004/f-107080901-PTNC9E2004.html?cm_mmc=ciao-_-Informatique-_-Ordinateur+de+bureau-_-Acer+eMachines+EL1352_004&cid=comp

It all really depends on your needs for video material, if a lot of MPEG4 DivX XVid then the 640 Go one, if you just want to do FLV streaming and MPEG2 the 320 will suffice.

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Gardener,
just a reminder just in case you missed it that these all come with Windows 7 in FRENCH.... as Pachapapa mentioned earlier.

Danny
[/quote]You can overcome this by buying an upgrade to Ultimate, which expands the language options infinitely.  Once purchased you can use this again if you have another computer "blow-up"[:)].

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Jane and Danny"]Gardener,
just a reminder just in case you missed it that these all come with Windows 7 in FRENCH.... as Pachapapa mentioned earlier.

Danny
[/quote]You can overcome this by buying an upgrade to Ultimate, which expands the language options infinitely.  Once purchased you can use this again if you have another computer "blow-up"[:)].[/quote]

A tad expensive!

Microsoft windows 7 ultimate maj depuis home premium

159,00 € HT
190,16 € TTC

And that's just a mise-à-jour! The day it blows up you'll need the full works @ *****

[quote user="Bob T"]Or you could buy a system without Windows (cheaper) and put Ubuntu Linux on it (free).
Something like this here.
[/quote]We discussed something similar on another thread recently, I seem to remember.  I do agree, Linux is just fine for most things and much more virus resistant than Windows etc. - I have never once had a virus/trojan etc problem with a Linux o/s.  Open Office (also free) does most of the other things an ordinary person might need, to boot.  And I am a true computer dimbo.

Coops, I would say that Ubuntu Linux is capable of everything. My wife has nothing else on her PC and she is a user rather than a guru. She edits photos, plays music and has written two books on it so far. I have a windoze 7 dual boot on my PC, but never boot to windows these days.

[quote user="Gardener"]Windows in French isn't a problem, i just don't understand computers in any language.[/quote]

I presumed that you were fairly fluent in french due to your comprehension of quite complicated considerations of guarantee options. There is no doubt that using a computer with a french operating system will improve your french.

Now the oxy-moronic enigma...in my opinion anyone who buys a hardware option to install a free version of Linux to save themselves € 30 rather than a computer with MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 PREMIUM PRE INSTALLED needs psychiatric counselling.[:(]

I don't see why, Pacha.  I know it's unfashionable but Linux's critics are mostly those who have never used it.  It's much better than you think and so nice to have a clutter-free os that is virus resistant without having to add on loads of software which bloats and slows down your system.  Although I got very fed up with my netbook because the hardware was so cr*p (3 new batteries and  a complete replacement under guarantee and it failed totally after 15 months - all due to the poor Acer product), I found Linux easy to use and remarkably fast because I didn't need to clutter up its hard drive with anti-virus software etc.  In comparison, the slimmed down version of 7 which comes with so many other netbooks is horrid.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I don't see why, Pacha.  I know it's unfashionable but Linux's critics are mostly those who have never used it.  It's much better than you think and so nice [/quote]

Exactly my point, if you dont see why...then in my opinion you need counselling. Miners dont worry about fashion. I have used it. No it is worse than you think I think. But using other peoples thoughts to support your argument is not even hearsay.[;-)]

Archived