Complete France Forum

FreeSat HD television

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]It seems that you have a choice of a Panasonic or a Panasonic.

No other companies are now offering freesat enabled models in their current range from my reading online.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/products/hd-tv-range

Danny

[/quote]

I think that's right. We have a Sony 40" with built in Freesat which we are very pleased with but I believe this model is no longer available.

[quote user="pachapapa"]Several TVs have a DVB-S HD.MPEG4 tuner/decoder built in with diSecq 1.2 allowing control of a motorised dish; a FTA environment some also have PMCIA slots for a PowerCam and Viaccess card for CanalSat and Canal+.[/quote]

As has been said this isn't entirely relevant to the OP's situation,   but it's perhaps worth saying that it would be a false economy now to buy any sort of sat equipment for HD unless it is DVB-S2 capable,   rather than plain DVB-S.     Ch 4 HD at the moment is using S2 for its test transmissions,    and I think the German channels are S2 too.   It's only a matter of time before British FTA stuff moves over I suspect.

[quote user="Martin963"][quote user="pachapapa"]Several TVs have a DVB-S HD.MPEG4 tuner/decoder built in with diSecq 1.2 allowing control of a motorised dish; a FTA environment some also have PMCIA slots for a PowerCam and Viaccess card for CanalSat and Canal+.[/quote]

As has been said this isn't entirely relevant to the OP's situation,   but it's perhaps worth saying that it would be a false economy now to buy any sort of sat equipment for HD unless it is DVB-S2 capable,   rather than plain DVB-S.     Ch 4 HD at the moment is using S2 for its test transmissions,    and I think the German channels are S2 too.   It's only a matter of time before British FTA stuff moves over I suspect.

[/quote]

Interesting... thanks Martin.  I just checked the spec of our Freesat integrated Sony and it is DVB-S2 capable....that's reassuring.

[quote user="DerekJ"][quote user="Martin963"][quote user="pachapapa"]Several TVs have a DVB-S HD.MPEG4 tuner/decoder built in with diSecq 1.2 allowing control of a motorised dish; a FTA environment some also have PMCIA slots for a PowerCam and Viaccess card for CanalSat and Canal+.[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting... thanks Martin.  I just checked the spec of our Freesat integrated Sony and it is DVB-S2 capable....that's reassuring.
[/quote]

Currently considering buying a Samsung 3D Ready without DVB-S2.[:D]  By the way the Samsung C 6700 range in various sizes are DVB-S2 compatible.

A total of 13[:)]Samsung units without DVB-S2,not all have sat capability, but all 3D Ready are included in a Samsung VAT rembousement promotion; need less to say the the current on line retail price since their introduction in 2010 has been discounted by around 30% thus giving with the 16.4% VAT reduction a total of around 45-50%.  

Much the same applies in the terrestrial domain too.

France (and this doesn't happen so often) took the short-sighted view to use DVB-T with MPEG 4 for its HD terrestrial services.    Already it's been mooted in government that a switch to T2 (30% more efficient at transmission carriage) will be implemented eventually,  at which point new boxes all round will be needed (as SD may well be converted too).

It's a few years off but even so.    Although one has to weigh up - as ppp is obviously doing - the fact that it might be cheaper to buy equipment which is less modern and upgrade with an add-on box when the time comes.

It's what we've done in Britain - HD ready TV with DVB-T,    then added a DVB-T2 Freeview box for a total cost considerably less than buying a TV with integrated DVB-T2.    More boxes and wires of course....

It was indeed M Besson's utterances that I was thinking of;  thanks for the link.

I'm not sure I can see much pleasure in store for the French nation when they've been encouraged to buy SD MPEG DVB-T boxes (to keep the cost down) and may find another "switch" foisted on them in the name of gaining more channels.....

The Uk came in late to HD and adopted DVB-T2, DVB-C2 and DVB-S2; the french chose DVB-MPEG4 probably due to the stupidity of Sarko at the beginning of his reign trying to give an illusion of dynamic direction. A political decision and the possibility of DVB-X2 will likewise be a political decision. The basis for the decision is in the TNT domain, so that bandwidth can be freed up for Sarko's Media Mafia. There are a LOT of TV s that would be affected, like everything marketed since 2008 and still spewing out of factories. The change from analogue to digital has been something of a drama and to come along three years later and tell half the population to recycle their TVs will cause serious unrest. The chances of anything happening before 2012 is minimal and then sarko will have less chance of winning than Marie Le Pen or a joint dead horse/dead cat combo. The french situation is very different to the UK situation; I shall be still enjoying 3D TV and HD on my DVB-T MPEG4 Tuner for many years to come.

Leaving aside ppp's rather hyseria-driven political comments,    it seems that development of digital TV is always going to be something of a leap-frog process.

Britain rushed into DTT and OnDigital made the somewhat short-sighted decision to use 2k rather than 8k symbolling;  had OnDigital been prepared to wait another two months the chips would have been ready,   but they were determined to keep up with Sky's new digital package.    All those boxes stop working when an area is analogically switched off,   if not before.

People rushed out to buy "HD-Ready" TV's,   a totally misleading description,   and many of these sets will never have displayed a true HD picture before they were scrapped or went wrong.     Only in the last year has DVB-T2 HD arrived in Britain (although DVB-S HD was around a bit before) and all these exsisting HD-Ready TVs had to have adaptor boxes bought for them.

Britain rushed into DAB and that is a true dead-end as one can't upgrade 99% of the sets already out in the country or indeed buy them adaptor boxes.   France only played with our version of DAB (and on different frequencies) and went back to the drawing board two years ago and will use a completely different system for digital radio.

There was a bit of politics in the decisions to use 819 lines (taken in the 1940s to show France "could do it") and SECAM system L (to keep out imports in the late 60s early 70s) but it is pure wishful thinking to pin the current situation on any politician.   It's just the way it is.   Some countries "win out" by waiting,   but the losers often then overtake with the next leap.

France is actually well placed on the TV front as it hasn't auctioned off UHF TV spectrum,   and many important TV sites have several unallocated frequencies available for use when analogue switch off is complete (Plan Finale a Huit Couches).     So in fact a more efficient transmission system could be put onto these new frequencies during a period of dual-running rather than having a "fermeture brutale" in the near future.

But I daresay my technical explanations will fail to convince notre ami ppp that poor Mr Sarkhozy is responsible for all the country's ills......

But I daresay my technical explanations will fail to convince notre ami ppp that poor Mr Sarkhozy is responsible for all the country's ills......

Perish the thought, even barko-sarko needs help from his friends...like MAM in defence, justice and foreign affairs, for example.[:D]

P.S. Is the Panasonic 2D to 3D transformation comparable with the Samsung one? Urgent!!

Archived