Complete France Forum

HDMI to SCART Conversion

My mother has bought herself a new tv but it only has HDMI outlets.  I've had a look around google and on Amazon and converters appear to cost about £50 or so.  Now I could buy her a new DVD player for that but there are also cables which seem to be SCART on one end and HDMI on the other but I'm not convinced these would work or why do the converters exist?

Any of you techies know?[:)]

Spec says its got Composite A/V and video so BobT's sugesstion is spot on.

I shouldn't be a bit surprised if it has a couple of Scart sockets too, its just that they're not mentioned

EDIT:  No it doesnt have a Scart socket, so much for backward compatability!  Still the RGB  or composite (ie yellow plug and red/white audio) leads will work  Nice TV BTW

Jolly good, thanks both. 

I thought it might be a terminology thing, Bob, but don't want to take things for granted.

She had a perfectly good DVD player x Video recorder and the guy who brought the telly told her that because there was no Scart socket on the telly that it was useless so he took it away (I kid you not!)  Happily, I have an old DVD player which is still servicable so she can have that but it suffers from the same problem of course.  I was sure there would be a way around.

My fault Coops, I should have said that RGB is also called composite. Many DVD players have composite outputs as well as Scart sockets. You can but a scart plug which has the RGB sockets on the back of it (normally coloured red, yellow and white) for a couple of euros.

The other option is a €29 DVD player with a HDMI output.

The problem with a TV without scart will be how to connect a non HD sky or freeview receiver as most of these seem to use scart.

Yes, the DVD player has the correct sockets and I have loads of leads so all done for nil expense!  I was going to take the new player route if necessary but as it isn't I will settle for free.[:)]  The TV has a freeview receiver and her flat has a communal aerial so all should be fine now.

Thanks again.

Dont worry about HD the set only has SD definition.

BobT does not know the difference between composite and component.

The tech spec states:

Component (Y/Pb/Pr) 1
Composite (AV) 1

The Composite is a simple stereo input for the audio 2xRCA cinch connectors with a single video RCA connection; this will give poor transfer and is about as sophisticated as connecting a cam-corder.

The component, composants in french, often called YUV is a better but tecnically equivalent to separate three spad connection with a Peritel/scart plug: the video signal will be improved due to the quality of the connectors. It should be noted that this will only give the component video signal and the audio will have to be connected with a separate cable via the audio part of the composite cable or just a bog standard twin RCA cinch plug cable.

Under the particular circumstances of no HDMI output, this will give the best performance; the purchase of a conversion cable or connection will just serve to replicate the technical characteristics of the connection at avoidable expenditure.

In English please, Pacha!

You don't need to worry about the French terms as she and all the kit are back home in the UK (hence my planning ahead for when I go over there). 

All I need to know is what lead to buy to connect the TV in that spec' to a DVD player which has SCART, Coax, Digital optical;DIN and the 4-colour sockets which Bob describes (it says Video Out on the back of the DVD player and the sockets are labelled Video, Y, Pb and Pr.)  I'm afraid most of your post is gibberish to me - just so that you know whom you are dealing with!

What I had inferred from Bob and Pierre was that a set of leads with the same three colours on the plugs as are on the back of the player, then this would work.  Are you now saying that the quality would be cr*p and that I do need a converter, or not?  [:-))]

Use a cable like this long enought to ge between DVD player and TV; this cable is called RGB, YUV or Y,Pb,Pr; the sockets will have colour codes next to them.( Y,Pb,Pr are the components of the Video Signal)

[IMG]http://www.tedd-lcd.fr/upload/Image/produit/tv/YUV%20CABLE.jpg[/IMG]

Connect the RGB/YUV/etc cable between DVD Player and TV using sockets that look like this:the three sockets at the bottom.

[IMG]http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/11/23/pc_interfaces_101/hdtvcomp-stb.jpg[/IMG]

This will give SD 720p good quality video signal on the TV.

But no sound ONLY video....audio coming up.[;-)]

Cheers.

What really p*ss*s me off is the fact that the guy who installed the TV waltzed off with a free DVD player when this fix was available (as I felt sure it would be.)   If you don't know what you're doing or can't ask, it's amazing how easy it is to get conned.  I shall complain to Curry's about this bloke.[:@]

Then connect the audio using a bog standard RCA cable, either with two plugs red and white coloured or a composite cable leaving the yellow video not connected.

Connect each cable to the audio red and white stereo connections on DVD and TV; the audio will then be connected.

With one proviso you will have to select the default inputs to the TV on the config menu; no great problem.

The image is useful below as it shows a typical Composite and Component arrangement on a typical DVD player TV.

[IMG]http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/11/23/pc_interfaces_101/hdtvcomp-stb.jpg[/IMG]

You will then have a video/audio quality equivalent to the purchase of a £50-60 conversion box.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Cheers.

What really p*ss*s me off is the fact that the guy who installed the TV waltzed off with a free DVD player when this fix was available (as I felt sure it would be.)   If you don't know what you're doing or can't ask, it's amazing how easy it is to get conned.  I shall complain to Comet about this bloke.[:@]

[/quote]

He didn't waltz off with it, he stole it.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Cheers.

What really p*ss*s me off is the fact that the guy who installed the TV waltzed off with a free DVD player when this fix was available (as I felt sure it would be.)   If you don't know what you're doing or can't ask, it's amazing how easy it is to get conned.  I shall complain to Comet about this bloke.[:@]

[/quote]

He didn't waltz off with it, he stole it.

Wtrite a formal letter of complaint and send it to their head office.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]He didn't waltz off with it, he stole it.[/quote]Quite so, since when did delivery of a new TV (or any other piece of equipment/furniture WHY) endow the deliverer with the right to remove existing items. Doubtless though if challenged he will claim he was given them.

• 2 months later...

Just a brief update for those who kindly contributed to this thread.

I have just been to my Ma's with my old DVD player, together with the full set of leads as recommended by you chaps.  I got ready to hook them all up and had a quick look in the little bag of goodies supplied with the telly.  Hey presto, in said bag was a SCART converter, still in its bag. I popped this in the back of said TV, attached it to the SCART lead which the installer had kindly left behind[Www], and the player worked instantly.

Thus, Clark, AnO and co, it is now - to my mind - indisputable, that the guy who installed the TV for her was nothing less than a thief, as it should have been as obvious to him (if not more so, as it is his job) as it was to me, that any equipment with a SCART connection could be hooked up to the telly without problem or any complicated conversion kit.

Mr Curry will be hearing from me...

[:@][:@]

Archived