Complete France Forum

Wireless Video Senders

I have found some references to these on the forum from 2005 and 2008, but I was wondering whether anyone had more recent experience of these.  I would like to use a transmitter linked to our satellite box to send a signal wirelessly to our other TVs.

I have tried an SLX 5.8Ghz (made by Philex) set-up, but the quality of the transmission / reception even over a very short range is appalling.  A full HD 1080 sender has been suggested, but I am not convinced that these things have anything like the range quoted by the manufacturers.

Perhaps someone has a success story to share?

We used one succesfully for about 5 years in the UK to cover about 6 metres from lounge to living room. It moved to France and did about 8 metres for 12 months. Marginal for 8 metres through thick stone wall in new house. Stopped working when new plasma TV installed, replacement also killed by plasma TV so replaced with a coax feed.

If you google 'Video Sender HD' some useful debates come up. The power available for these devices is kept very low and the quoted ranges only work with clear line of sight.

Thanks for the responses.  It seems that the unit I have may be faulty, but further reviews I have read in the past day or so are not very encouraging on overall performance.

The Phillips versions look interesting, but some reviewers have commented on interference from wi-fi or microwaves.  Another unit that has been recommended is a 5.8Ghz model by Emprex.

Archived