Complete France Forum

Had an offer the other day to upgrade my Livebox. Just visit the nearest Orange shop and exchange your old one for the latest version.

Got it home, connected it up and, voila it all works. It offers

Plus performante : elle est particulièrement adaptée aux usages simultanés (internet, TV, téléphone par internet) pour vous apporter une plus grande satisfaction.

Plus respectueuse de l’environnement : dans un souci d’économie d’énergie, elle est équipée d’un bouton marche/arrêt et d’une fonctionnalité vous permettant d’activer ou de désactiver à volonté le Wi-Fi.

Plus de possibilités : vous pourrez désormais partager dans la maison vos contenus multimédia (photo, vidéo, musiques) et votre imprimante entre tous les ordinateurs du foyer connectés à la Livebox.

Certainly seems quicker but time will tell.

I exchanged ours for a new one a couple of months back and have been very pleased with it. I'm trying to work out now how I can locally attact our printer so that we can print from either of our MacBook or iMac without having the latter powered on. Plus, it's possible to connect our external HDD that runs Time Machine on the iMac to plug into it and run TM on both automatically. Yet to work those out?

The VIOP phone works well, albe it there is a slight echo, echo, echo, echo on it?

If you haven't been conned into buying one you can change it of course[8-|]

No, I didn't bother with the phone John as we prefer Skype.

I have gone for the 3€ a month for all calls to french mobiles though because we have two daughters who both live and work in Antibes.

I did wonder what that USB socket was for LOL. I'll try to get it set up later today.

As an aside, my new Macbook Air came with iLife 11 installed and it has some amazing new features.

You can create emails direct from iPhoto with photos imbedded exactly as you want.

I bought a boxed version off eBay to upgrade my iMac for £20 including postage. Well worth it.

If you do get it though make sure that after loading you get the latest software upgrade (9.1.1) before opening the programme otherwise you can risk some loss of photo files when first opening the new one. There is quite a bit about that on Google.

I did what was advised and my 3000 odd photos transferred perfectly. (I had, of course made a Time Machine Backup first) LOL

Skype is great just as long as both you and the person you're calling are on line. But it's difficult to walk about with a PC or even my MacBook? I know that you can get cordless phone now for it, but as we already have 4  Siemans phones scattered around the house it just aint worth us getting any more. Correction, 5 if you count the one for the gate!

3€ for the Livebox rent and 7 for the phone is a bargain for us.

I haven't found any difficulty in putting photos into Mail on OS X?

"I haven't found any difficulty in putting photos into Mail on OS X?"

Neither have I John but the extra features available as to the way you can present them from iPhoto 11 is a really nice touch. Have a look.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/#email-photo

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

3€ for the Livebox rent and 7 for the phone is a bargain for us.

[/quote]

John, are you still paying 7 euros extra for your international calls via the livebox?

If so you should change your Orange package and save a bit of cash.

all the Orange offers now include the phone calls - there is no paying extra for these calls (unless you want unlimited calls to French mobiles too like Bugsy)

http://abonnez-vous.orange.fr/residentiel/forfaits/net-tripleplay-plus.aspx?bo=1

Danny

No, it is not new but the 7 euro extra charge for unlimited calls that John mentioned (if indeed that is what he meant!) is part of one of the older packages.

Unless I misunderstood what he was referring too, of course.

Danny

well, if you are happy to stay with Orange, you should change your offer and save a few bob.

You could put the cash towards playing with some bits of wood or something...[Www]

You should be able to do it online if you want.

Espace client/ma formule/changer d'offre and see what is there. If it is not listed you will have to call them. Any change of offer will mean a new 12 month minimum subscription.

Just as an aside and for anyone else who may be affected....

Make sure you also check

espace client/ma formule/changer d'offre and select 'booster votre offre internet' select 'choisir cette offre' then

Débit maximal auquel votre ligne est éligible

then 'continuer'

There is no charge for this. It puts your internet at the fastest speed your line can support. It can take 15 days to be activated.

Orange, unlike all other providers have certain speed levels which are just commercial in nature and only if requested will set your line to the highest level possible. If you don't ask, they don't do it automatically.

As this does not make the sales people any commission, they can be quite happy to ignore requests over the phone so best to do it on line.

A lot of lines are being upgraded at the moment so that faster internet is available. It is a good idea to check[I] just in case.

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Make sure you also check espace client/ma formule/changer d'offre and select 'booster votre offre internet' select 'choisir cette offre' then Débit maximal auquel votre ligne est éligible then 'continuer' There is no charge for this. It puts your internet at the fastest speed your line can support. It can take 15 days to be activated.
[/quote]

I have just had a 'poke' around to look for this following your instructions and I can't find it. Does this mean I am already at my highest speed?

Danny, after 3 daze of digging up our friggin garden with a very good ex plumber friend to try!!!!!!!!! to find a bleedin water leak in our garden I am totally knik-knacked so I will have a look at the link in the next couple of daze!

Still not found said leek yet!!

The garden looks as if it's been attacked by mutant ninga taupe at the moment! Big b u g g a r s too!

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]Make sure you also check espace client/ma formule/changer d'offre and select 'booster votre offre internet' select 'choisir cette offre' then Débit maximal auquel votre ligne est éligible then 'continuer' There is no charge for this. It puts your internet at the fastest speed your line can support. It can take 15 days to be activated.

[/quote]

I have just had a 'poke' around to look for this following your instructions and I can't find it. Does this mean I am already at my highest speed?

[/quote]

You can check by what is shown in the Espace Client.

When you click on 'ma formule', it will say either Formule Plus 20 M or Net Plus 20 M etc without any brackets. This means you have the fastest available.

If you see something like 'Net Plus 20 M(2M)', then your line is being limited to whatever level is in the brackets.

This may be because your line can only support the 2MB at the moment or you are just held at that level commercially.

If I follow the steps I outlined before (and here my line is at the max available) I get the following message when I try to 'booster votre offre internet': and click 'continuer'

"Nous avons procédé à un test d'éligibilité de votre ligne.

Le débit dont vous bénéficiez aujourd'hui constitue le débit maximal auquel vous pouvez accéder."

We are on ADSL2+ since last July and were limited to 2 Mb before that. Now we have a stable 11 Mb.

If you are far from the exchange, it will not make any difference though.

Danny

It isn't the remote that may need the gyroscope or the accelerometer, it is the equipment that is being remotely controlled. This is the situation found quite often with RC helicopter fliers when they can't control the beast without it[8-|] Not needed by 'glider guiders' normally[8-|]

If the remote has a need for the above then there is a very big ????? about the ability to control anything, remotely or not me-thinks?

Danny, just to be crystal clear about this:

The package or change you refer to WILL NOT override line restrictions in place due to errors in FT's database which may be incorrectly reporting a lines length and attenuation figures and therefore is only applicable to those who may have taken out their contract prior to local improvements taking place for which of course FT/Orange have absolutely no motivation whatsoever in informing their clients of.

Bandwidth (= speed) costs money so why give them 20mb when you can get away with giving them one or 2mb for the same price !

[quote user="Jonzjob"]It isn't the remote that may need the gyroscope or the accelerometer, it is the equipment that is being remotely controlled. This is the situation found quite often with RC helicopter fliers when they can't control the beast without it[8-|] Not needed by 'glider guiders' normally[8-|]

If the remote has a need for the above then there is a very big ????? about the ability to control anything, remotely or not me-thinks?
[/quote]

But for control of an object on the TV screen, the converse is true.

That is correct Ernie.

Was I unclear?

I was referring only to the commercial levels which are put in place by Orange and nothing to do with the line length/quality (accurately reported on their database or not)

I only mentioned it as I think it may be useful to some people.

It is worth a check just in case. As you confirm, Orange don't inform people about it.

Out of interest, have you checked your espace client as I indicated to see what it says about the 'débit maximal' on your line?

Did you ever get anywhere with trying to correct/upate the erroneous data about your line statistics?

There figures are also wrong here about this line. But the other way round to yours. It is reported as having an theoretical attenuation of about 16 dB but in reality itsynchronises at about 36 dB.

Danny

Not unclear to me Danny but conceivably could be to others who may not fully understand how it can work in practice.

As far as espace client/ma formule/changer d'offre and select 'booster votre offre internet' select 'choisir cette offre' is concerned it says 'inclusive' which I take to mean that I am already on the max possible.

In answer to your other question, no. I have sent multiple recorded delivery letters to DR FT all to no avail so my only hope now is for someone like SFR to move into the new exchange which has recently been built in the village.

[quote user="AnOther"]

As far as espace client/ma formule/changer d'offre and select 'booster votre offre internet' select 'choisir cette offre' is concerned it says 'inclusive' which I take to mean that I am already on the max possible.

[/quote]

if it says 'inclus' that just means there is no extra charge, not that it is already in place.

Does it also say 'choisir cette offre'? If so, you can click on that then select Débit maximal auquel votre ligne est éligible (maximum speed available on your line)

then 'continuer'

and it will either give you a message to say that we will carry out your request (I forget the exact wording)

or

Le débit dont vous bénéficiez aujourd'hui constitue le débit maximal auquel vous pouvez accéder. (You already have the maximum speed available)

Danny

John, did you not see the links I gave you in the 3rd post of this thread?

Is it a problem on French? let me know and I will try to do a translate for you.

What is the model of HP Photosmart?

Are you using just Macs or are other OSs involved?

Danny

Archived